Utilities meter separation for multi family property(water & gas)

Utilities meter separation for multi family property(water & gas)

Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 8 votes

Hi BPers,

I have a multifamily property in Harris County with 2 duplexes (4 units in total). This property has combined water and gas meters for all 4 units (get one water bill and one gas bill every  month) and I'd like to split these utilities so that each unit gets it's own water and gas bill. Does anyone know where I might start to determine the costs for this split? Would the water and gas company need to do the work or can it be done by a contractor?

Thanks for the help!

Felipe

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    Centerpoint will be responsible for the additional gas and power meters. The installation of the separated meters will vary in difficulty depending on how the units are plumbed/wired. Is there already separate breaker boxes for each unit? How about the gas lines? Separate throughout up until a split near the meter or all tied together?


    I would first start with a call to Centerpoint to inquire with them and I'll hazard a guess the earnest of the work to ensure there are four separated gas and power inputs to each unit will be on you and your contractor. 

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Brian Nel thanks for the input. I have contacted centerpoint and the city of Houston to determine what it would take to do this work. Thanks again for the help.

    Felipe

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    7y

    Please excuse my ignorance, but could you implement a RUBS program rather than physically splitting the meters? Some disadvantages but maybe easier and more economical if there is any out of pocket cost.

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Tony Castronovo Thanks for the input. Yes that is definitely an option, but I was wondering what it would take to have each tenant be responsible for their utilities.  This is the first multifamily so I don't know how tenants would typically respond to a RUBS program, which is why I want to look into splitting the utilities. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.