Any class B areas in Houston where you can get 1% Rent/value?

Any class B areas in Houston where you can get 1% Rent/value?

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes

I am from Houston but the market has changed A LOT in the past few years since I left. I am looking for non flood prone areas where I can achieve at least 1% of the market value of the property in rent. Any suggestions on which areas and neighborhoods to focus on? 

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

There are lots.  I bought a 10 unit in Montrose (which I'd call an "a" area) last year for $815k.  Rents for $1k/door so over 100% rule (to be fair, I put in about $100k but I'm still over the 1% rule).  I bought a 12 unit last year in 3rd ward (which is an area I'd strongly put int he "B" camp if just for the fact its smack in the path of progress).  I paid $51k/door which seems outragous next to what I had been paying a few years before ($20k range).  But they rent for $750/door so well over 1%

TLDR: Tons of options. Just gotta look man. If you're looking at SFH it'll be harder and you may need to stick to burbs like Katy and Sugraland -- yuck (IMO)

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    There are lots.  I bought a 10 unit in Montrose (which I'd call an "a" area) last year for $815k.  Rents for $1k/door so over 100% rule (to be fair, I put in about $100k but I'm still over the 1% rule).  I bought a 12 unit last year in 3rd ward (which is an area I'd strongly put int he "B" camp if just for the fact its smack in the path of progress).  I paid $51k/door which seems outragous next to what I had been paying a few years before ($20k range).  But they rent for $750/door so well over 1%

    TLDR: Tons of options. Just gotta look man. If you're looking at SFH it'll be harder and you may need to stick to burbs like Katy and Sugraland -- yuck (IMO)

  • Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Good info Cody. How did you find the two deals you spoke about? I am in Houston and SFH is nuts. Multi offer deals and all within 24 hours.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Randy Coker:

    Good info Cody. How did you find the two deals you spoke about? I am in Houston and SFH is nuts. Multi offer deals and all within 24 hours.

     saved searches on HAR.  But to be fair, I was also in a position to call them and say "I'll take it. Here is $100k hard.  I'll close in 7 days".   For a buyer that just wants a quick close and a no fuss buyer, they'll sell for less than others might offer.   Not everyone can do that.  So I don't mean to say it's easier than it is. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y

    I agree with Cody. I see them from time to time, even on the MLS. 77084 and 77449 are zipcodes that I track. Not there everyday but they do show up. Maybe not class B but still decent.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark Sewell:

    I agree with Cody. I see them from time to time, even on the MLS. 77084 and 77449 are zipcodes that I track. Not there everyday but they do show up. Maybe not class B but still decent.

     Yikes, those seem soooooo far.  I'm such an inner loop snob  :)

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y

    @Cody L. aren't you the guy buying SFRs up in the Woodlands or somewhere up there?  I thought I remember you saying something about some area up there you like to buy in.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark Sewell:

    @Cody L. aren't you the guy buying SFRs up in the Woodlands or somewhere up there?  I thought I remember you saying something about some area up there you like to buy in.

     noooo.  I have one home up in Conroe I bought for the hell of it (I lease it out) but almost everything I have is inside the loop (see map)

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y

    So you own a bar and a church downtown?  Or are those just additional icons that have some other meaning?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark Sewell:

    So you own a bar and a church downtown?  Or are those just additional icons that have some other meaning?

     lol, yeah, I own a few commerical properties in midtown.  Two of them are used as nightclubs.  In 3rd ward I own a church and a school.  Crazy stuff. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.