Incorporating your real estate business?

Incorporating your real estate business?

Ontario · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 7 votes

Hi all!

Looking for anyone's advice and opinions on incorporating their real estate investment portfolio. I currently own 2 rental properties and because of this I'm finding it difficult to secure a loan for future rentals I'd like to purchase. Has anyone incorporated or looked into incorporating? Any advice or opinions on how incorporating may help in securing additional properties? 

1Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Sudbury, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    What type of lender are you with? I switched from CIBC to a local credit union and found much greater flexibility (not as difficult transitioning from T4/W2 to self-employment income etc). That's about all I can offer from personal experience - but I am also curious if anyone else has input on incorporating!

  • London, Ontario · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    From my perspective, having your properties in a corporation can limit who will actually provide a mortgage. If you are in commercial lending, it is no problem, but residential financing it can really limit the lenders.  Some times on residential mortgages we have to go to alternative lenders to make the debt servicing numbers to work and if you want them in a corporation it usually comes with a premium in rate. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.