Solutions to Issues & Challenges - Investing in Nova Scotia

Solutions to Issues & Challenges - Investing in Nova Scotia

Rental Property Investor 路 Halifax, NS 路 Member since 2020 路 40 posts 路 46 votes

The purpose of this post is to create a localized source of knowledge to provide solutions to the issues and challenges faced when investing in Nova Scotia

One such problem of mine is finding affordable single family homes in Halifax to flip.  To help with this issue, my business partner and I have created a team of bird dogs to canvass neighborhoods in the HRM.  We then do a direct mail campaign to ask the homeowners if they are interested in selling their house - private sale. This technique has been successful thus far.

9Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
5y

I know some are involved in networking groups but would anyone be interested in doing a monthly zoom call?

We could take turns presenting information, have a time set aside for tactical discussions involving our active projects.

Potentially invite guest speakers, I know some private lenders who would do a presentations, maybe a lawyer or 2, insurance agents and real estate agent who would all be willing to share their expertise.

A final benefit is being accountable to peers is often a motivator.

Thoughts on this?

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    Thanks for doing this Janelle. Life works better when we all work together 

  • Member since 2020 路 9 posts 路 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks Janelle! Derek, Great idea! 

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    Currently working with a client who has designed a rent to own model that's working extremely well. 

    we have options for JV, private lending and ownership investment in a rent to own property. If anyone is interested let me know

  • Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 3 votes
    5y

    Hi Everyone, I am a developer/investor based in Truro, NS. Happy to be part of this thread.

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Joshua McEvoy

    Good to see you hear!

    I am working alongside Josh on a few projects. Both him and his father are incredible resources!

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    I know some are involved in networking groups but would anyone be interested in doing a monthly zoom call?

    We could take turns presenting information, have a time set aside for tactical discussions involving our active projects.

    Potentially invite guest speakers, I know some private lenders who would do a presentations, maybe a lawyer or 2, insurance agents and real estate agent who would all be willing to share their expertise.

    A final benefit is being accountable to peers is often a motivator.

    Thoughts on this?

  • New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 5 posts 路 2 votes
    5y

    Hello!

    I just started thinking about real estate investment last week and I have no idea what I am doing 馃槄

    I have a parcel of land at Prospect Rd not far from Bayer's Lake and I am considering building a multi family home there (2 or 3 units).

    So far most of the information I found are related to buying existing homes, so I am wondering if this is a bad idea.

    I would appreciate any insight.

    Thanks!

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Eri Bastos

    Builds are fine and there is a shortage of housing in Halifax.

    I can walk you through some different options.

    HRM building permits and inspections are notoriously more difficult than the rest of the Nova Scotia.

    On the plus side the land is already a solid equity position

  • Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 3 votes
    5y

    @Eri Bastos not a bad idea at all. Great cash flow opportunity, low maintenance cost, easier to rent, there are a lot of positives. I think why you don't see a lot of information on it is because most investors are focused on just that, investing. Construction has a lot of moving parts, and there's a lot more to know/learn. We are doing new construction rentals right now in Truro.  Let me know of any questions and I'll be happy to help any way I can.

  • Member since 2020 路 4 posts 路 3 votes
    5y

    @Eri Bastos @Derek Cavanaugh I agree with Derek on HRM permitting. It is months long process right now. Even just to get a quick question answered can be up to 3 days wait for the call back. Derek would defiantly be the guy to talk to about funding that sort of investment.

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Joshua McEvoy

    Feel like doing a build in HRM ?馃榿

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Eri Bastos

    Some things to keep in mind if you are going to move forward on this.

    4 units and under qualify for residential mortgage rates if it's a personally owned property. Over 4 you will get bumped to commercial lending. If you plan on using a company name for ownership it will also be commercial

    Construction mortgages with draws are not as accessible as turnkey product but you will have options.

    Some builders will carry the build finance but that will generally increase the price.

    If you require a lot of funding it would be best to establish market values for rent prior to applying. As a general rule of thumb banks like to see 1.25 income to expense ratio on the project.

    Personal income and debt servicing ability will influence the mortgage especially during the construction stage.

    Hope this helps

  • New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 5 posts 路 2 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Derek Cavanaugh @Joshua McEvoy. This is good information, though I don't understand all of it yet. I need to educate myself a little more.

    Some background information: I own my home in Halifax, but I am currently living in Ontario, so I have it rented and a property manager looking after it. I touched based with them asking for advice what kind of houses are mostly sought after and what features people would be willing to pay a premium for, so I could have a little higher rent.

    They may be off, but I was told smaller units for young families or people downsizing, open concept and garages are winners. Rents would be anywhere from 1400~1800.

    The next thing I started doing was researching and reaching out to builders. My own house is a pre-fab (Kent Homes), so I started with modular home builders. Sent a bunch of emails, but to no one's surprise people in Nova Scotia are mediocre when it comes to replying email, so yesterday I left voice mails with a bunch of them. Hope to hear back during the coming week.

    Your information that permits are hard to get is a little disheartening, as I can see this as an extra challenge with me being so far away, but I will keep poking around a bit more.

    I have another question if you don't mind, please. I read somewhere that I need at least 20% down for mortgages on income properties. Is that really the case? I am not planning to use a company, just my own name.

    Thanks for your time!

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Eri Bastos

    Yes 20% down will be required but we should be able to use the land value to cover all or most of that.

    I'm not sure what Josh's availability is but I am on my 4th project with Josh and his build process and project management is really tight.

    I'm happy to pass along my cell if you have more questions.

  • Member since 2020 路 9 posts 路 1 vote
    5y

    Hi! I'm also based in Ontario with a cottage being rented out in Blue Rocks. We originally purchased as a family cottage but currently have it rented and we're working with a property manager. We are interested in more properties in NS and while I really like the South Shore area, I'm curious about other areas more specifically the Eastern Shore and the Northern shore. I know that the eastern side is much less populated and get the feeling it's becoming more of a vacation area. Is that right? What is the potential for full time renters out that way? And the North Shore I can't quite put my finger on. What is the vibe out there?  

    I'm curious if anyone knows of any property managers / management companies in those areas that might have some more feedback and who might be able to be my eyes on the ground for a couple properties I am interested in.

    Can't wait to be able to get back there, feeling frustrated and locked up in Ontario!!!

    Thanks all!

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Rachael Woodcock

    I live and invest along the north sure. I am located in Pictou.

    I know of at least a couple of property management companies in the Pictou county area.

    There some pretty good value buys in this area. Multi unit cashflow well and as it's a great tourist area Airbnb works as well

    Eastern Shore has some really unique opportunities.

    As I am on the north shore and close to eastern shore I can probably connect you with real estate property managers contractors etc.

    Happy to discuss anytime

  • New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 5 posts 路 2 votes
    5y

    Hey people,

    How would one who is far away would go about checking a property to check if it has potential for a BRRRR?

    I see something in the same area where I have my house that is priced really cheap, so I am both curious and cautious. Anyone local in Halifax interested in doing some research together? 

  • Banker 路 Nova Scotia, Canada 路 Member since 2018 路 83 posts 路 59 votes
    5y

    @Eri Bastos

    I would reach out to your property manager. They should be able to steer you in the right direction when it comes to doing a BRRRR. I have done many of these projects from a distance and your boots on the ground property manager is the one who can go view the property for you and if they are good at what they do, they should be able to give you a idea of what you can get for rents, ballpark construction costs and even help determine a potential value of the property after you are done. I myself like to hire property managers that have a full time construction crew to make this process much easier. If you want to PM me, I would be happy to share my experiences with this and how I go about doing BRRRRS from a distance.

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    Hi all I am thinking of doing a networking zoom meeting. I have lined up a private lender and a real estate agent to present some information on the current Nova Scotia market place.

    If anyone is interested you can message me here and I'll attempt set one up.

    Let me know if this is interesting to you and suggestions on other areas presenters could be from.

  • New to Real Estate 路 North Vancouver BC, Canada 路 Member since 2021 路 3 posts 路 1 vote
    5y

    I'm interested! Thank you for setting this up!

  • Member since 2019 路 3 posts 路 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Derek,

    We would be interested in joining a networking Zoom meeting. We are located in BC and are still working towards being able to relocate extra-provincially with our current employment but are interested in connecting with others investing in the Nova Scotia market. 

  • New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 5 posts 路 2 votes
    5y

    Yes, I would like to join.

  • Lender 路 Nova Scotia 路 Member since 2021 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    Super are there other professionals you would like to here from

    Real estate lawyers

    Accountants

    Home inspectors

    Home designers

    Appraiser

    Solar installers

    Specific trades people

    Or feel free to make a suggestion. I'd like to make these sessions valuable to everyone.

    Thanks all I'll send out the details soon

  • Accountant 路 Halifax, NS 路 Member since 2021 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    5y

    Derek let me know when you are doing it, I am both an investor and accountant 

  • Member since 2021 路 1 post 路 1 vote
    5y

    Hi everyone I am new to investing and to the area I would love to sit in on this call please PM me the details :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.