Best and most helpful RE mentorship programs? Taking recommendations.

Best and most helpful RE mentorship programs? Taking recommendations.

Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 6 votes

Hey everyone,

While I scale up for my first RE fix-and-flip, I'm putting hundreds of hours into podcasts, RE investment books, and perusing online forums. I'll start attending a few RE investing networking groups in the next week or two as well. 

I appreciate that finding a RE investing mentor can be invaluable - but everywhere I look, I'm seeing $5K, $10K, $20K+ price tags to gain access to a mastermind group, receive some pre-recorded video content, or to sign up for a mentorship program (somewhat blindly).

Has anyone found real value in attending any of these courses, or are they all a quick cash-grab?

Would love to hear recommendations of courses, mentorship programs and / or groups that proven truly valuable for other RE entrepreneurs -- but would appreciate it if any recommendations came without a vested interest in my purchase (aka please recommend a course / program / group that you paid for and saw great value in, not one where you stand to profit from a purchase).

Thank you!

2Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hello @Mike Bower

    I've heard and read great things about Rod Khleif's course. Also have heard mixed reviews about Sam Ovens' course/mentorship from people throughout the RE industry.

    Regarding pre-recorded courses, this seems to be just part of the business model. The appeal to create a course for sale is that the creator can leverage their time and experience by recording valuable, high-quality content, run ads behind it and collect passive income. That said, there may be courses out there that additionally offer access to a group of like-minded folks.

    I'm sure you've seen plenty of ads that have some sort of funnel i.e. Free webinar/downloadable content > Low-cost subscription to have access to a community/group > higher-cost in-person event > course > mentorship/coaching (usually highest ticket price).

    I've purchased courses, hired coaches/mentors, and paid for monthly subscriptions. Each time, I get what I put into it. Some of these purchases have felt like wasted $ while others have changed my mindset and business for the better.

    My recommendation would be to research a few recommended courses/mentorship programs - Including Rod Khleif who also has a pretty good podcast.

    Lastly, an alternative here could be taking some time (and eventually $) to invest into YOUR OWN marketing for fix&flip deals. You can use that $5K to purchase lead lists, hire cold callers, subscribe to software (with RE data) and find your own deals. Once you find the deal, you can decide whether or not to bring in a partner. At that point, you have a deal in hand and don't need to pay an up-front fee to learn. Instead, you'll have an equity split with someone who can help fund and close on the deal. I understand this can be a huge undertaking but you sound like you have the entrepreneurial spirit and might be up for it!

    All the best!

    Abel

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hi @Mike Bower - courses and online coaches are a hit or a miss. 

    Most of the courses I've found value from have never been super expensive - and I generally have a disinclination away from online RE gurus/mentors. 

    Are they helpful sometimes? Sure - they can help you learn 6 months of reading books in 6 weeks... but you could literally find that information yourself as well if you dedicated deeper focus to it. 

    What I've discovered in both myself and other investors I speak with - spending money for the courses always tends to be a fake "win" aka tricking your brain into thinking that you're actually making progress when you're not. 

    Ultimately it's your choice - however, I recommend attending at least 3 RE meetups before signing up for a course. You'll find that being around other investors, brokers, and players in your local market will be the biggest leg up you'll get vs. all the podcasts and books you can ever read.

    I'm currently thinking about enrolling in commercial real estate course (Break into CRE) and that's a grand whopping... $99/month with free cancellation.

    Most of the time, authentic courses/gurus don't charge an arbitrary high number FYI. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.