What are the laws regarding abandoned tenant property in DC?

What are the laws regarding abandoned tenant property in DC?

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

I'm gathering information for rentals, and cannot find anything about abandoned tenant property in DC. Can anyone point me in the right direction? How long the landlord has to hold/store the property? What they have to do with it if not collected by tenant?

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    I was curious about this even though I don't invest in DC (although live in the general area)...and wow, some "interesting" laws!! Talk about tenant friendly!! This one was a gem:
    • Discontinued Housing Use: You can be D.C. Tenant Survival Guide The Harrison Institute for Public Law page 15 evicted if your landlord wants to discontinue renting your apartment. Your landlord cannot use this reason unless your landlord first gives you the chance to buy your apartment, and you will have 180 days notice after the expiration of the tenant purchase rights.

    Also interesting you have to now give them a Bill of Rights upon move-in...as if many of them will read that and be informed.

    Anyway, to answer your question (lol)...I also could not find what to do with their left belongings. But I did find a phone number that might be helpful to call and ask:

    Landlord and Tenant Court Clerk's Office: (202) 879-1152

    http://ota.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/ota...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.