• washington, DC
Votes |
Accessory dwelling unit zoned R2 - Will FHA count the rent

Orren Prunty
  • Investor
  • washington, DC
Posted Jan 19 2018, 11:24

Hello All,

My Washington DC experts I need your help. I am in the process of purchasing a semi-detached row home, zoned R2. There is an accessory dwelling unit, which I intend to rent out. I spoke with DCRA and have reviewed the website - they have confirmed it is legal to rent the unit and will not require a separate certificate of occupancy. It is a basement unit, however it is sperarely metered and does not have access from the main unit. It does have the appropriate ingress and egress requirements.

My problem is my appraiser is saying that they can not include the rent since it is technical a single family zoned area. The zoning is somewhat grey as it states that it's legally rentable, as long as it is owner occupied, on the website but still listed as a single family zone.

Does anyone have or know of an example where an accessory dwelling units rent was counted in an appraisal or towards qualification for purchasing a property using an FHA loan. I am trying to appeal to my appraiser but he does not agree, even though it seem clear to me.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

-Orren 

Loading replies...