Buying a duplex wanna make it a 4-5 unit

Buying a duplex wanna make it a 4-5 unit

Alyssa MarquezBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · San Antonio TX / Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2023 · 120 posts · 29 votes

Hey guys, I have a duplex under contract that is almost 2100 ft.². It’s currently a three bedroom two bath on one side and a two bedroom one bath on the other side. Total five bedroom three bath. I think there’s a good opportunity I could make this a four unit or even five unit. There’s plenty of parking on street and in the back carport and the way it’s set up right now there’s three individual patios too and also there’s already five entryways (2 front doors, 3 back doors)


does anyone have experience with doing something like this that could help me figure out a floor plan

0Reply
69 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Alyssa Marquez:

    Hey guys, I have a duplex under contract that is almost 2100 ft.². It’s currently a three bedroom two bath on one side and a two bedroom one bath on the other side. Total five bedroom three bath. I think there’s a good opportunity I could make this a four unit or even five unit. There’s plenty of parking on street and in the back carport and the way it’s set up right now there’s three individual patios too and also there’s already five entryways (2 front doors, 3 back doors)


    does anyone have experience with doing something like this that could help me figure out a floor plan

    Hi @Alyssa Marquez, welcome to the BP Forum! I would HIGHLY recommend stopping at 4 units with your expansion plan. The reason: once you reach 5 units, the property is considered "commercial" rather than "residential". Many things change when this happens such as loan options are reduced, interest rates can increase, and development-related costs increase, to name a few.

    Have you looked at doing PadSplit rather than increasing the number of units?

  • Member since 2026 · 19 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    Hi Alyssa
    Yes, I have experience with splitting a property into additional units. 
    I would recommend you check the zoning for that property first to see if the city will allow dissecting the units. If it now zoned now, would the city allow it to be rezoned? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.