24 Year Old Making $16 an Hour, Closing on 4 Plex Friday!

24 Year Old Making $16 an Hour, Closing on 4 Plex Friday!

Grand Forks, ND · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 59 votes

Hi BP,

Just wanted to start out on how thankful I am to this site and everyone on it. Last year at this time I would of never guessed that I would be a landlord right now. A little background how this is even possible form me, at this time last year I was working 30 hours a week making $12 an hour. I also had every side job i could possible find which made me close to $2000 a month. I was given a raise to $16 and 40 hours a week at my job and a month ago was raised to $18. I have been living a low key life, all of my friends call me cheap, but its me saving money for things like this.

Around 3 months ago I found bigger pockets, I have listened to around half the podcast and all of the buy and hold investor podcast. This is mostly at the Job where ive gotten raises :). The biggest thing is beleiving that you can do it. Everyone that I tell that I am buying a 4-plex dosent believe me or asks how much money my family is giving me. The answer to that is 0. Ive been fortunate to have had my dad pay for the first two years of school, I worked while in school and was able to pay the last two years with no loans, just grants I received from the government and academics.

So a little on my deal, I have been working with a realtor and looked through apartments from 4-plexes to 18 unit buildings. I have seen everyone on the market and walked through the good and ugly. Made three offers on different four plexes but was to low for owners to sell. One of the greatest things I learned from the podcasts is when you meet someone instead of saying hows it going and good, tell them what you want or doing. I think the entire town I live in knew I wanted to buy a four-plex. Finally that paid off, when a seller came straight to me and wanted to sell. He was a motivated seller that needed money for medical bills for his wife. I walked through with him asked him the price he wanted. His price was higher than all the other building for good reason this is by far the best kept up and nicest one Ive seen, also with the highest rents by $500.

I brought him in and made a low offer with all closing cost paid or up to 3% saving my money down and to my surprise he didnt blink and said yes. This made me nervous that I offered to high, but was confident at the same time. When I got the appraisal back It was confirmed, all of the comps he used Ive walked in. He praised the condition of mine and really had nothing bad to say. He appraised it over $10,000 high which I am ecstatic about. 

The loan I got with this property is a Freddie Annie first time home buyers conventional loan with 5% down and 3.875% fixed interest 30 year fixed. Was looking at FHA but I have high enough credit to use this one, and very happy I did so. Everything is set to close on Friday after a few hurdles slowed me down due to this being my first deal.

After using all of the cash flow calculators and other tools I  will be cash flow positive on three of the units. I will still be paying rent and finding someone to live with me as well, because Im trying to get to deal #2 in less than 6 months.

Wish me luck and thank you again! 

46Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Findlay, OH · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
9y

This is awesome Cole, really inspirational post. I am new to BP, literally signed up today! I am 22 and have a similar ambition, it is cool to see that someone else around my age is having the kind of success that I am looking for. Really good information and I am happy you are off to a great start. Good luck on your next deal!

Tyler

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    It's inspiring to see more young people like you and I making things happen!

    Wish you best of luck!

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Great Story Gotta Share This

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 298 posts · 232 votes
    9y
    Cole Johnson you will end up better with the conventional anyways. If you compare your 5% down to FHA you will find out that the conventional saves you money up front and over the long run. How? Conventional required 5% down. FHA requires 3.5% down but also has a 1.5% up front fee that can be rolled into the loan. Both cost 5% but, while FHA only requires 3.5% up front, FHA keeps a 1.5% fee (1.5%+3.5%=5%) while the conventional applies the full 5% towards your principal. Finally, the conventional typically charges a lower rate on the PMI and allows you to drop at 78% LTV while FHA now forces you to keep PMI throughout the entire life of the loan. So while the FHA appears cheaper at first it really isn't and costs you more from start to finish. Good job on your acquisition.
  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    9y

    living within your means, stellar credit, and starting off this young.. you will do very very well for yourself! Congrats!!!

  • Investor · Atascadero, CA · Member since 2015 · 238 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    @Cole Johnson Congratulations!

    @Jeshua Patrick thanks for the explanation. So much to learn.

  • Grand Forks, ND · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 59 votes
    9y
    Gregory Allen Carter yes it is contingent on me having this as my primary resident. I have asked my banker if there is a certain amount of time I need to live in it. She said no. Then I asked how long until I can do it again she said there is no time period. I am very skeptical that this is actually true but I mine as well keep doing it until I cant!
  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Cole Johnson

    You got some grit, it's fantastic seeing someone as young as yourself busting your balls to make it happen. The deal came to you because you communicated to everyone what you wanted, and people believed it. You earned it.

    I'm surprised your banker said that, here in San Diego I talked to a few bankers and they all said you have to live a minimum of 1 year in your property before you can get another primary residence loan. It might differ by state, but you might be able to find the answer in your closing documents.

    Think you can save up enough to house-hack another 4plex in a year? Keep on grinding :)

  • Lender · Northridge, CA · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    @Cole Johnson what were some of the hurdles you went through being a first time deal? curious as to what I'll have to go through. 

    Did you need a couple years proof of income or paychecks?

  • Karoline KaonPro Member
    Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 63 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Cole Johnson Congratulations on buying your first four-plex! It sounds like you were smart and saved your way to being able to afford that home. Your story resonated with me! I had a very similar situation, I was in the same boat at my company. I started off making $12, then $14 and now $16! I thought I was the only person making $16 an hour at 24! I just bought my first home and I am in the process of fixing it up now. 

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Great Stuff! Moved on your first deal after only 3 months!

    Hope a lot of other investors follow your "action-ness"

  • Hollywood, FL · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I literally clapped for you. Sound much like myself. They call me cheap and blah blah but I'm doing the damn thing and so are you. Love FHA financing, that's how I got started too.


    Congrats!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    WOW! Good for you. That's a great tip about when meeting people instead of telling them how you are, tell them what you do. Congratulations on your first fourplex, imagine where you can go! 

  • Victor SteffenBusiness Member
    Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 352 posts · 374 votes
    9y

    Great post! Thanks for sharing man.

  • Michael DohertyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2016 · 449 posts · 476 votes
    9y

    Great job man, love to hear stories like this! Quick question- you said you had better credit which is why you went for the 5% down, but why not save some $$ in your pocket and do 3.5%. Do you avoid PMI insurance going the route you did?

    The reason why is: I'm closing on my first duplex (house hacking as well) and I went with FHA 3.5% down and a 30 year fixed at 3.625%. I have to pay PMI until I have 22% equity but just curious to see your reason why you went Freddi Annie. Congrats on everything!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    That's f*%#ing awesome man! Congrats Welcome to the club!
  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 298 posts · 232 votes
    9y
    Michael Doherty are you sure your PMI drops off at 78%. I know they changed it to being a lifetime thing about 4 years ago. I'm not aware of them changing it back. Might want to ask your lender to double check.
  • Michael DohertyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2016 · 449 posts · 476 votes
    9y
  • Grand Forks, ND · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    @Michael Doherty I went with the 5% because when I saw the interest rate at the time the conventional was lower. Also I looked at the PMI and the "red tape" with the FHA. Everyone was saying there are a lot more contingencies on a FHA, which I probably wouldn't of had a problem with, but was another reason I did the conventional.

    Im not sure what point PMI drops off for an FHA. But if @Jeshua Patrick is right, why not refinance when you get to the 78%?

  • Property Manager · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    Nice job!

    I am in a similar position. 23 years old and attempting to buy my first multi-family home soon. 

    Quick question for you (or anyone else reading), what is the difference between the FHA loan and the Freddie Annie first time home buyers loan other than the down payment?

  • Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    ...got to add my 2 bits, Cole...go Pro THE UNLIMITED USE OF CALCULATORS and your hard work will make you wealthy. And don't sell anything. Just keep adding to your cash flow and equities.

    My biggest mistake was developing a 19 unit apartment and then selling because an Agent brought me a great deal, and a large profit. Fast forward 20 years. Property would have been paid for, and rental income now $20,000 a month [gross O.I.]

    Actually, first time in Real Estate the 'old-timers' told me: 1. put 25 % of your commissions invested back into real estate, and 2. Don't sell anything. I did neither so am now crying as an old man!

    Oh, congratulations on no college debt to drag you down, and your hard work.

    By the way, had friends from Grand Forks, and the wife, daughter and son in law from NDSU.

    Continued success. and 

    G-d bless

  • Crossville, TN · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Congrats to you!

    I have a few questions about how you got the money for the down payment? If I'm reading it right you had $20,000 up front, which is a nice wad of cash. Did you just "Trench" it? Do you have any tips on saving for a down payment other than work as much as you can?

  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    9y
    Looks like an awesome deal man congrats! Curious if there's any rehab that needs to be done on any of the units or if you took on any other add value components?
  • Fargo, ND · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 15 votes
    9y
    Hey Cole, I just did the same thing as you except about 6 months ago and in Fargo. Purchased a 4 plex here and am currently living in one of the units. I also manage 250 units for a property management company here in town. My brother actually just graduated from UND and I was up there quite a few times. PM me and we can talk for a bit and maybe grab lunch or coffee next time we're in the same town.
  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Congrats on jumping in both feet first! In 6-10 years all of your friends that were once calling you cheap will be telling you how much they wished they'd followed your path ad be looking to you for investment advice. Keep pressing on and soon you'll be ready to purchase your next property and level up again!

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Starting young is really good stuff.  If you have the chance, learn how to wholesale as well.  Congrats on the house.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.