Great way to start off the year!

Great way to start off the year!

Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2016 · 179 posts · 188 votes

Hi BP,

It's always nice when you get to click "Real Estate Success Stories" as your Forum Category:)

I would just like to share with the community that I am now an owner of 2 properties, because I just closed my 2nd deal yesterday! This process was about 100 times more stressful/difficult than my first purchase. I purchased my first property about 20 months ago right off the MLS. I bought it for exactly what it was worth and closed in 30 days.. there was no fancy negotiation or value add play. I was simply buying it as a house hack and it worked out well for me, better than I could have anticipated. The property is in Auburn AL, and I was very fortunate because the value on that property has risen by about $45,000 in the last 20 months due to the market getting crazy hot here.

Though I did not have any control over the value add with my property, I did understand how powerful it was and how it gives me a lot more options as far as: selling/HELOC/cash out refi/etc.

So this time around I decided to do value add on purpose rather than hoping to get lucky again.

The property I have just purchased is in the south part of Montgomery AL near Vaughn Meadows. It was a foreclosure that looked like a train wreck in a lot of ways- which turned out to be because it was vandalized. To include to copper wires being stolen from basically everywhere imaginable, the entire ceiling in one of the bedrooms was caved in, and to top it off it looked like there could be foundation issues.

The property was on the market for about 6 months and I imagine its appearance scared off all other would be investors. But I decided to take a closer look.... After a few inspections, a lot of headache with my realtor, and a lot of headache with my lender, and a lottt of headache finding a contractor- I ended up going through with the deal. Maybe on a future post if anyone cares I will elaborate on my realtor/lender/contractor headache because it would be a lottttttttttt of typing haha.

SPECIFICS:

-list price: $75,000

-purchase price: $70,500

-loan type: conventional renovation loan - 5% down payment/have to live the property for a year

-Reno cost: $12,700

-Total price: $83,200

-Cash invested: $9760

Structural engineer inspection $450- Home inspection $350- Earnest money $2,000- down payment $4160 (5% of $83,200) closing costs $2800.

- Appraised value: $124,000!

When I started investing about 20 months ago the only RE knowledge I had was from BiggerPockets. And that is 99% the case today. Anyone reading this that is just starting out and wondering if this site is legit and if you can actually benefit from REI I'm here to tell you it is/ and you can. If you think you need to buy into some "investing course" or pay a coach or mentor you don't. The books, podcasts, and forums on here are GOLD and they cost you next to nothing.

When I started investing I had about 25K to my name saved up from the 4 years I was in the military(lower enlisted). 20 months later I have over $100,000 in equity between my 2 properties and one of them is cash flowing beautifully.

I left a lot out but I'm trying to keep this shorter than my last success post.. so this concludes my success story:)

43Reply
200 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 12 votes
7y

Thanks for sharing! Congratulations - I'd love to hear your headaches stories actually. I feel there most likely is good info to learn about from we new REIs. Cheers!

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Congratulations! 

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @nickhanson you can always invest out of state as well.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Aaron Millis I’ve read through over 100 post since I’ve started WITH BP in December. This has inspired me the most!

    Bravo Aaron.

  • Kent, OH · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    That is awesome Aaron. It is a good lesson for everyone to learn; just because something looks scary doesn't mean it is. Secondary lesson that I got from your followup about the headaches is to always have your team solid, and when you have them solid, make sure your back up team is just as solid. Your favorite contractor might be busy when you make a deal, your agent might be out of town and your dog might be at the park when you need to pet the goodest boy. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Turnersville, NJ · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7y

     Wow! way to go Aaron.

    Your hard work paid off.

    Keep it going....

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Great job Aaron, congrats!

  • Investor · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Amazing and inspiring! Congrats bud 

  • Marietta, GA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you for the inspiring story!

  • New to Real Estate · Aurora, CO · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Aaron Millis hello,

    I saw that you saved roughly 25k while you served in the military. I, myself am going into the army on june 13th. I just wanted to ask what were your saving techniques and would i be able to save more than 25k? I am hoping to save around 75k. As soon as i get out of the military i was going to start a career as a personal trainer at anytime fitness. Mainly because they asked me at the gym to be a trainer and everything there is amazing. The pay isnt the best but it would be almost stress free. Any recommendations or suggestions to help me reach financial freedom would be awesome. I wanted to use the personal trainer and military income to boost my real estate investments

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Congrats! Thanks for the powerful inspiration & keep up the good work!

  • Brentwood, TN · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Nice, is your other property in Auburn? 

  • Jerome MorelosPro Member
    Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    Very nice, thanks for sharing.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing, I am in Mobile, AL.  I sold my house and moved into an apartment to get the cash out to start investing.  I have been reading post, practicing on the calculators and read many books on RE.  I have been on the fence for several months, my husband is tired of me saying I'm going do it, I'm not going to do it, seriously I am driving both of us crazy being scared to jump in.  Your post has inspired me to go ahead and call my agent to make an offer on a foreclosure that I found.  Again, thank you.

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    I'd just like to echo everyone's congrats and say job well done! A truly inspirational story of perseverance and sticking to your guns. It's easy to let everyone make you think you don't know what you're doing when first starting out. Great job on staying with it Aaron!

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Congrats on a great success  @Aaron Millis!

    Yours is the best quote I've heard regarding this business!  Damn, the imagery!!!

    "Don't be the guy that walks into the gym decked out with a headband, shooting sleeve on both arms, doubled up highlighter Nike socks, A tank top that says "Ball is life", compression leggings, and a $400 pair of Air Yeezy's- shooting air balls all day.

    Be the dude in the T shirt and shorts schooling everyone!"

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Great work! You took action, learned, and made it happen. Lots of people never get to the "take action" part!

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Awesome Aaron!

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Good stuff. Did the house appraise $40k over the purchase price in the condition it was in those pictures?

  • Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y
    Way to go Aaron !! Keep the work going !!
  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2016 · 179 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    @Chris Maurice Yes my other property is in Auburn.

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2016 · 179 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    @Austin R. Olds

    Honestly man I was good at saving money just because it fits my personality. I didn't ever really know why/what I was saving for I just knew I didn't want to blow money like most enlisted guys do. And in theory you can save up as much as you want. Your health care will be covered and you'll be on a meal plan so if you really wanted to save every dollar you could.

    My recommendations would be: Don't buy some shmancy expensive car/ or a brand new car ie: Mustang, Charger, Jeep, etc-- don't go out to the bars every weekend-- when you do go to the bars don't spend money on girls. Actually I think my #1 suggestion to young men that want to get ahead financially is to not spend your money on random girls. I've never bought a girl at the bar a drink, or spent any money on any girl/or guy I don't know. Maybe that makes me cheap.. I think it makes me smart. The list goes on.. but if you want to save money you're going to. 

    Also keep in mind that in addition to saving money you can always find ways to make more. For a while there when I was in the military I was making more money from selling things on ebay and doing my own personal UBER thing than I was from my actual paycheck. (That was before there was an actual UBER- they ruined that business haha). 

    Just keep focused on what you really want and don't get sucked into anything that will lead you astray!

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Congrats! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2016 · 179 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    @Victor S. Thanks man. And to answer your question, Yes/sort of.

    The appraisal was done before any repairs were actually completed or even started. It's called a subject too appraisal I think. The appraiser basically pretended all the work was done already and appraised the house accordingly. So the house is still has issues but the hole in the ceiling was fixed, the HVAC and water heater were replaced with new ones, the fixed all the cut copper wires/water lines, and they replaced the crappy sliding back doors with french doors. So all that cost me $12,700 on top of my purchase of $70,500 for a total of $83,200. Then it appraised for 124K. 

    And I only actually put down 5% of that $83,200 which is pretty cool. That left me with a large monthly payment + PMI ... but I think it's worth the equity added. Plus I can always refinance down the line because I already qualify for the PMI to go away.

  • New to Real Estate · Aurora, CO · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Millis:

    @Austin R. Olds

    Honestly man I was good at saving money just because it fits my personality. I didn't ever really know why/what I was saving for I just knew I didn't want to blow money like most enlisted guys do. And in theory you can save up as much as you want. Your health care will be covered and you'll be on a meal plan so if you really wanted to save every dollar you could.

    My recommendations would be: Don't buy some shmancy expensive car/ or a brand new car ie: Mustang, Charger, Jeep, etc-- don't go out to the bars every weekend-- when you do go to the bars don't spend money on girls. Actually I think my #1 suggestion to young men that want to get ahead financially is to not spend your money on random girls. I've never bought a girl at the bar a drink, or spent any money on any girl/or guy I don't know. Maybe that makes me cheap.. I think it makes me smart. The list goes on.. but if you want to save money you're going to. 

    Also keep in mind that in addition to saving money you can always find ways to make more. For a while there when I was in the military I was making more money from selling things on ebay and doing my own personal UBER thing than I was from my actual paycheck. (That was before there was an actual UBER- they ruined that business haha). 

    Just keep focused on what you really want and don't get sucked into anything that will lead you astray!

     I appreciate that response man, yeah i want to become financial secure as fast as possible so i can focus on helping others with their fitness goals. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2011 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    This is great stuff. Congrats!

    May I ask what went down between your realtor, contractor, etc.?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.