FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

FIRST BRRR Complete! Details + Pictures!

Real Estate Agent · Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 487 votes

Hey Biggerpockets!

My partner and I just completed our first BRRRR and we are so STOKED and THANKFUL for the education we have received from this website. I am writing a summary of this report in the hopes that someone finds value from it and our story inspires them to take the first step towards financial independence.

BACKGROUND:

I began listening to the Biggerpockets podcast 18 months ago. Before BP, I was an active member of the Personal Finance community on Reddit, and was on the journey towards FIRE (Financial Independence // Retire Early). My primary plan for early retirement was shoving money in tax-advantaged mutual funds. As I began to learn more and more about real estate investing, I began to question my strategy. The information I was hearing in the podcast made sense, the numbers were better than the stock market, but I was struck in "analysis paralysis" and couldn't pull the trigger.

Once my wife and I purchased our primary residence in California, we decided to take the leap and dive into real estate investing. The BRRRR method made the most sense mathematically to us, and I consumed as much informational content as I could.

THE JOURNEY:

Step 1: We bought our first home (primary residence). We live in California where homes are expensive and saving up 20% for a downpayment had taken us years. We could have bought more rental properties if we had continued to rent and foregone purchasing our own home (like Grant Cardone and Stephan Graham recommend), however, I can not stress enough how important it is to be on the same page with your significant other. My wife wanted her own home, and we made a promise to each other to get out of our apartment before we began investing in rental properties. Our quality of life improved tenfold going from a 600 sq ft apartment to an 1800 sq ft single family residence. And once we had our own home, we were free to dive into out-of-state rentals.

Step 2: Once we closed on our home, I immediately begin looking for a HELOC to fund our rental purchases. I found a local credit union that would give us a 1.99% introductory rate (18 months), after a 3 month seasoning period. We put the paperwork in motion and as soon as the seasoning period was over we were able to pull out 50k of equity to be used for real estate investing.

Step 3: While we were waiting on the HELOC to fund I took to BP and started looking for where to invest. The information was overwhelming, and it was hard to figure out where to start. After a good deal amount of research, I settled on Huntsville, AL. I started making contacts through the BP forums and talking to people on the phone. I would get up early California time and talk to people in Alabama (+2 hour time difference) just as they were starting their day. I had countless conversations with wholesalers, property managers, contractors, and real estate agents. I then took 3 days off work to fly to Alabama to tour the city. I fell in LOVE with Huntsville. The city was incredible, nothing like what I expected. It reminded me a lot of my hometown in Redlands, CA. Craft beer and coffee everywhere. Downtown revitilizations. Tech jobs and sort of a "hipster" feel to it. And stuff was happening in Huntville. They were building everywhere. Companies were moving to the town. Rents and property values were increasing, but still affordable. This was it.

Step 4: Once the HELOC closed I had 50k burning a hole in my metaphorical-pocket. I had found a partner who knew nothing about real estate, but was just as driven as me to find financial independence. He wanted to quit his day-job and travel the world, and needed monthly cash flow to do it. We found our first deal through a wholesale connection I had made on my trip to Huntsville. The wholesaler had found an off-market deal that they needed to sell QUICKLY. This was the Friday of a 3-day weekend. The property was a 3/2 townhome 1500 sq ft in Madison, AL. The location was good and Madison has some of the best schools in the state. The property was midway through a rehab, the owner had bought the home in foreclosure a few years ago and was slowly fixing it up himself. The wholesaler wanted 68K for the property, and I quickly estimated the home to be worth about 100K fixed up based on comps from similar homes. My partner and I made an offer of 60K for the property based on our rehab estimates, and at the end of the day the wholesaler accepted our offer. We had an inspection Monday and we closed on Tuesday, and just like that, we owned our first rental property.

Step 5: Now began the rehab. The property needed some work, the biggest issue was the backyard. There was an abandoned pool and overgrown landscaping that made the property appear MUCH worse than it actually was. There was no way we were going to have a pool in a rental property (insurance nightmare), so we got a pool remover to break up the pool, fill it in, and cover the backyard with beautiful sod. We then cut the vegetation away and suddenly the backyard was simple and clean. We replaced our side of the shared-townhome roof with 20-year shingles, and we installed a new 6 foot cedar privacy fence. We then turned our attention to the interior. The biggest issues with the interior was the unfinished stairs, partially completed bathrooms, and rotting exterior french doors. We got extremely lucky and found materials for the stairs in one of the closets that the previous owner had purchased. The interior rehab took 4 weeks, and we managed the project completely from out of state. Total cost of rehab: 18k. By the end of the rehab the home was completely restored, stable, and beautiful.

Step 6: Now we needed a renter. There were very little rental comps for a 3/2 townhome in that area, so pricing the rent was tricky. Another disadvantage we were facing is that our rehab completed the week after Thanksigiving, and finding renters in Al is slightly harder during the winter months. We had the nicest townhome on the street, so we marketed the property at $975/month. The highest a home had been rented in that area before was $850 a month, but that was for a 2-bedroom townhome. We didn't get any takers for the home, which was scary, and I was starting to think we had made a big mistake. We decided to drop the rent to $950 the day after Christmas and suddenly we had tons of interest in the property. We had a great qualified renter in the property the first week of January.

Step 7: Now the property was stabilized and rented. It was time to pull our money out. Our 6-month "seasoning" period was to end on March 11th, so at the begining of February I began looking for a bank to perform a cash-out refinance. I was hoping for an 80% LTV, but after calling around 30 banks I was not able to find anything better than 75%. The refinance process was painful (so much paperwork!), but after many hours and email exchanges between the lender, the final hurdle left was the appraisal. I was definetely worried the appraisal was going to come in low, as our property was nicer than any of the (limited) comps, but the appraisal came in at 105K! Here is a quick summary of the numbers:

Purchase Price: 60K

Rehab: 18K

Total Cost: 78K

Appraisal: 105K

Cash out Refinance: 78.5K!

WE DID IT!

These numbers are rounded of course and do not include a few thousand in holding costs and lender fee's, but the monthly rent in the interim period before we refinanced the property paid for those costs. The property is cash flow positive after accounting for maintenance, vacancy, and operating expenses, and we have pulled out our entire starting capital!

I can not thank Biggerpockets enough for the immense information available through their website and podcast. It has literally changed my life. 7 months ago my partner and I had -ZERO- rental properties. Since diving into the BRRRR method we now have -SIX- cash flowing rentals, with a goal of -TEN- by the end of the year.

Here are some pictures of the property before the rehab:

BEFORE PICTURES

AFTER PICTURES

I would love to answer any questions or comments you might have on the BRRRR process. I would not have been able to even GET STARTED in real estate investing if it wasn't for BP, so please if you have a question on the process let me know! My journey wasn't perfect, and there were plenty of things I will do differently moving forward, but for the first BRRRR I am extremely happy with how it went.

THANK YOU BP!

218Reply
1,822 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 32 votes
7y

Congratulations! How much did the refinance cost you and how much did your mortgage payment go up by? I feel like this part of the BRRRR strategy is not often talked about and curious to hear how it impacted your monthly cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

305 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Congratulations James! A couple questions. Are all your properties in the Huntsville area? If not where else?

    And how did you go about hiring your GC? (A big concern of mine when it comes to long distance investing) I'm assuming the physical trip to Huntsville was a big difference. Again Congrats!

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Congratulations!  Thanks for the great story and for including the numbers and the before and after pictures. Very inspiring!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mill Creek, WA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Great job! That improve Brrrr can be done with a right team

  • Rental Property Investor · Mill Creek, WA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Great job! That improve Brrrr can be done with a right team. Please update next project going

  • Real Estate Broker · Nassau County, NY · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @James Gates. Great story James. It was very inspiring I had to circulate it.  And thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions from so many folks as your answers were as insightful as your story. The common thread in both, it seems, is that folks should do some homework/ground work, be conservative with their numbers, work well with others, and above all just get started while continually learning and perfecting the processes as one progresses.

    You're a good reminder of what Les Brown says, "you don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great."

    Best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Great work James! 

  • Hartford CT · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    This is awesome!

    Thanks  

  • Wilsonville, OR · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Congratulations James! This is awesome! We are beginning our journey. We just finished setting up an operating agreement as we decided to set up 2 partnership businesses; one for fixing and flipping, and one for BRRRRing. We our utilizing money from the sale of our home and also some stocks we cashed in as well as a self-directed IRA. I do have some questions for you though.

    Did you retain a real estate attorney in Alabama to assist you with contracts and legal aspects?

    Did you retain a local realtor and contractors and how hard was that process?

    Are you using a property manager to manage your rentals?

    Again, excellent job and congratulations!  Reading your post just motivated us even more!

    Looking forward to hearing your responses!

    Have an excellent week!

    Health, Happiness & Blessings!

    Jami

  • Realtor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Battaglia:

    Congratulations! How much did the refinance cost you and how much did your mortgage payment go up by? I feel like this part of the BRRRR strategy is not often talked about and curious to hear how it impacted your monthly cash flow.

    I did a ReFi and got a $53K HELOC a few months ago. It was around 5k to do the Refi...they just tacked it into the mortgage payment so I didn't really feel it.

  • Realtor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Gates:
    Originally posted by @Terri O'Brien:

    @James Gates - what a great journey and thank you for sharing that. You are an inspiration to all of us getting started. I own a house in Denver, Colorado and just took out a HELOC of $55k but cannot buy any rental properties here...so I am concentrating on an area I grew up in on the East Coast where my family still lives. Can I ask you - how did you find your partners?

     Hey Terri,

    Awesome job on the HELOC, it's a great strategy for "transferring" passive equity from one property to active equity in another.

    I found my partners through a variety of ways. My primary business partner was an old co-worker of mine who is extremely like-minded when it comes to goals, attitude, and motivation.

    Another partner was found on BP! I did a search for members in my area, asked him to coffee, and it blossomed into a partnership on two properties.

    Another partner was simply a mutual friend who heard and saw what I was doing with Real Estate, asked for a sit down meeting, and when I showed him the numbers jumped right in!

     My question is...When partnering with people that you just met, what are some qualities that you look for other than motivation and like-mindedness. Would you recommend partners that live out of town? I am looking for partners also.

  • Realtor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    This is a great story! How did you go about finding good contractors and managing them from out-of-state?

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    That’s amazing and thank you for sharing. So great to read about people doing long distance investing. I’m just getting started and in that first phase where you were with analysis paralysis and gobbling up as much info as possible. I live in Los Angeles and definitely am looking for out-of-state investing. I had some questions if you can share :

    1. How did you crunch the numbers to make sure it’s a good deal

    2. Is there a good rule of thumb to account for all the expenses like fees and vacancy?

    3. How did you find a good rehab team out of state?

    Thanks again for sharing! Hope to be where you are soon!

    -Jolyn 

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Congrats from 1 Californian to another! I enjoyed your story and the journey. I live in Westwood near UCLA and too took the leap a few years ago and own 3 out of state rentals in Northern OH. I hope to move to multifamily next as well.

    Good luck in all your endeavors!

    Michael McCoy

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @James Gates Congrats and thanks for sharing your story. It’s very inspirational. 

    I discovered BP 6 months ago and have been educating myself on RE investing but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. If you are looking for another partner hit me up. 

  • Rosedale, NY · Member since 2016 · 120 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @James Gates such a awesome story thanks for sharing it's a great inspiration for me as I am undecided on purchasing my own home or start off with BRRRR method first, what would you recommend? I thought to take out HELOC you have to own your home for over two years? Can you elaborate more on how the cash out refinance works? Thanks again for sharing...

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    James,

    How did U manage to do repairs and other things, living in another state far away??

    I live in Houston Texas. Are disadvantageous is it to buy, fix and rent in another state far away? How do I manage that and still win?

    Thanks.

  • Will RandelPro Member
    Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Did you use your personal name and credit to do the cash out refi although you had a partner in the deal ? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Awesome story! Similar to our story...but we're still on our first rental property and I'm ready to make another purchase. If only we can get access to some of the equity in our primary home! What bank did you go to for the cash-out refinance?

  • Rental Property Investor · Peekskill, NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Congrats @James Gates and thanks for sharing.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @James Gates

    Congrats on your success here and thank you for sharing your experience! I currently fix/flip and plan to move in this direction.

    If you were to do it all over...what would you do differently and what do you wish you would have known before diving in?

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2019 · 117 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    congratulations! So if you wanted to sell this property. Would it sell for $100K meaning around a $20K profit in cash?

  • Real Estate Agent · Moody, AL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @James Gates congrats! What is the term length on you refinance?

  • Contractor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @James Gates Do you have a property manager for them? How did you structure the partnerships?

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing.  So how much did you originally owe on the loan and how much do you owe now?

  • Realtor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 87 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @James Gates congrats! Sounds like the perfect BRRRR. That has to be a great confidence builder to do more. Good work!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.