Please share your opinion on this deal.

Please share your opinion on this deal.

Residential Real Estate Broker · Richmond, VA · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 3 votes

We are new to Real Estate investment, and just start to learn the market and the analysis process. Interested in one condo, and below is the numbers and info:
- asking price 67k; (just dropped from 72k in May, and has been 72k since last Sep)
- propose to offer between 57k to 60k based on recent sales in the same area;
- hoping to put down 20% and the rest 45k ish finance for 15 years;
- rent is average about $800-850 a month (3bed, 2.5 bath);
- the property is a condo, so HOA is $150 a month right now, and has been at this range for the past few years.
- the property is assessed at 89k, but recent sales are all around 60k in the neighborhood, this particular house was actually last sold at 50k back in the early 90's.
- the area is a University town, and the property is relatively close to the campus, so rental should not be too hard to get, but turn around might be high, like every year.

Using the free analysis spreadsheet, it looks like we are barely $100 positive a month on this one. But using the 50% rule, it doesn't seem to be working too well.

Questions:
- is investing in condo ever a good idea? considering you will always have to pay the HOA fee (currently $150/month).
- is it possible/easy to get a loan for 45k ish? and with today's rate like 4%? we do have the means to put down all cash, but don't really want to tie up all the money.
- is it a good idea to get finance for 15 years or we should go the 30 years route? (if we can get a loan at such a small amount)
- what is your overall feel about this investment?

Sorry for a lot of rumbling. Hope to get your input!! Thanks in advance.

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
14y

I stay away from HOAs as I don't have enough control with them.

If the house is worth $60k, you don't want to be paying $60k. As an investor, you're trying to buy distressed properties, properties that allow you to walk into equity. You should be thinking closer to $50k on a $60k property.

Sounds like an unmotivated seller if he clung to the previous sales price for that long, you may have a hard time working him down but trying seldom hurts.

You've noted how cheap money is, why would you be in a rush to pay back a low rate mortgage? Would you rather have that cash tied up as equity in your investment or sitting in your bank account looking for the next deal?

In terms an investment... I'm guessing you can find deals like this all day long, there's nothing special in this...

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    14y

    I am very anti-condo, but that's just me. I'm sure you can make money if you buy right, but the HOA is always going to be there, hanging over your head.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    I stay away from HOAs as I don't have enough control with them.

    If the house is worth $60k, you don't want to be paying $60k. As an investor, you're trying to buy distressed properties, properties that allow you to walk into equity. You should be thinking closer to $50k on a $60k property.

    Sounds like an unmotivated seller if he clung to the previous sales price for that long, you may have a hard time working him down but trying seldom hurts.

    You've noted how cheap money is, why would you be in a rush to pay back a low rate mortgage? Would you rather have that cash tied up as equity in your investment or sitting in your bank account looking for the next deal?

    In terms an investment... I'm guessing you can find deals like this all day long, there's nothing special in this...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Since your gross rental amount is in teh $800 a month range, you should be paying attention to the 2% rule here which would put you at a $40k offer, however, other cirumstances coulod still yield you positive cash flow at a 1.75% acquisition price.

    As far as condos are concerned, I don't like them as rentals. First, you have an HOA to deal with and the costs involved, plus, they are the first to lose great value in RE value drops, and the last to gain in appreciating markets. (Typically)

    I would never consider paying $60k for a condo like this when all the other comps are also $60k. Appears as if the ask price is way to high, they are asking full (and beyond) retail value, and to get cash flow, you NEED to buy at a DISCOUNT!

  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    14y

    There are a lot of ugly worse-case scenarios that could (and do) happen with rental condos, such as:

    If X% of the condos in the complex are not owner-occupied, then banks won't lend on them. Condos for sale sit, and prices drop.

    If the HOA decides to make life hell for tenants, you now have a less rentable unit.

    As to the financing, I think the other posters touched on it.

    As to the pricing, remember: RETAIL IS FOR SUCKERS. I'm sure you don't like paying retail (full price) for your clothing, so why would you pay full retail for something like a HOUSE?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    14y

    I've said this before and I still think it is true... condos can be good "starter rentals" in that your maintenance is subsidized (albeit, partially by you) and you tend not to have large expenses. You do, however, tend to have more headaches if you're self managing, because neighbor disputes are a lot more likely in condos.

    I couldn't tell you whether or not you would be able to get a loan on a condo for $45K, so I also couldn't tell you what the terms of that loan should be. The lenders in your market can tell you that, though. I would agree that it wouldn't make sense to buy this property with all cash, since you should reserve your equity for higher yield investments.

    15 yr vs 30 yr financing depends on your overall strategy. Do you need the monthly on this to boost your personal finances? Then grab the 30 year. If not, a 15 year pays the note off quicker, but also requires more of your capital. I guess it depends on what the opportunity cost of your principal paydown allocation is... and only you know the answer to that.

    Overall feel- similar to others. Not much to get excited about here... but you probably won't lose your shirt either. Safe, but not sexy.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Richmond, VA · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jake Kucheck:
    I've said this before and I still think it is true... condos can be good "starter rentals"

    .....

    Overall feel- similar to others. Not much to get excited about here... but you probably won't lose your shirt either. Safe, but not sexy.

    Thanks Jake, it is our first attempt at REI, and we know it is not an exciting deal as it is off the MLS.

    The only reason I am interested in this property is that I own another condo in the same neighborhood which is upside down (we paid way over twice of this price at the peak. silly us), and we are very familiar with the community, management.

    But as you and many others said, this is just an ordinary buy, nothing to get excited. I am simply trying to figure out if this is a terrible idea to start with while we learn and search for better deals.

    Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it very much.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Richmond, VA · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    On a side note, would it be wise to start with something small like this, considering we will be tied up for a while due to family reasons, mainly time wise. Or keep looking for something 'sexier' to jump in...

    My fear is that we won't be able to land anything until our family situation is slightly better to allow us to look more actively on better deals, and meanwhile, money just sits there doing nothing.

  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    14y

    Whether a "small" deal like this or a bigger deal suits you and your family, only you can really know.

    Cash is king. If you're sitting on cash, you should be able to command top prices - you just have to find the truly MOTIVATED sellers.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Richmond, VA · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Loc R.:
    Whether a "small" deal like this or a bigger deal suits you and your family, only you can really know.

    Cash is king. If you're sitting on cash, you should be able to command top prices - you just have to find the truly MOTIVATED sellers.

    Thanks Loc! Looks like I need to work harder to find a better deal!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Sophia, I think it would be a mistake to jump into a deal just to do one now. Wait until you have the tools to get yourself into a great deal, then rinse and repeat. Buying this deal because you already own another one in the complex is NO reason at all to buy it.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    14y

    Personally, I prefer single family residential. My question is always, "How fast can I sell it, Hopefully at a profit if need be?" I also highly recommend looking for transactions that meet the 50% rule. The current market is still staggering....lol.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    I agree with Will, look for a better deal and I'd also stay away from condos!

    Wast that "in the same neighborhhod" or same complex? If the HOA paid me, I'd still make sure that the project was 75% owner occupied and FHA approved. I'd want to sell it someday.

    I always suggest a 30 year amortization on rentals as it provides a better cash flow and the additional interest is written off and you could always pay it down if there was a good reason to, like fitting a retirement goal. You will have vacancies in a college environment unless you have a unique property that the kids love. And, to that market, get daddy to guarnatee the lease, none of my students had "sufficient" credit, not even the younger grad students! Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.