Just completed my 1st BRRRR in VA

Just completed my 1st BRRRR in VA

Realtor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 113 votes

Hey BP! I just closed on the Refinance portion of my first ever deal, a BRRRR. I guess once I "Repeat" then I would have actually completed the BRRRR process. For reference, I've listened to the podcast for about a year. In Summer of 2018, my wife and I took out a HELOC on our primary home in Richmond, VA, as it had appreciated in value greatly in just our two years of ownership. We opened the HELOC and sat on it so we'd have it ready when the time came, and in January 2019, got a phone call from a mutual friend who is a wholesaler in the area. We had met a few months prior, and he called to let me know he had a house under contract that was in the ballpark of my HELOC amount, and thought it may be a perfect first deal for me.

The process actually went relatively smoothly, except for having to fire a contractor. Essentially, he oversold his ability to finish the attic, was doing a poor job on drywall, and I had to fire him and hire a new guy. This swap in contractors cost me an additional $4,000. The house was a 900 sq ft single family with 2 bed, 1 bath and a walk-up unfinished attic. The main work done: refinished the hardwood floors, painted throughout, and finished the attic. Now it's a 3 bed, 1 bath, and 1250 sq ft.

Here are some numbers:

Purchase Price: $61,000 (paid for using HELOC)

Rehab Cost: $17,000 (paid with personal savings)

All-in Price: $78,000

ARV: $105,000 (based on appraisal from refinance process)

Rent: $1,000/month (Lease signed mid-project)

At the end of it all, I had to leave about $4,000 in the deal. The ARV wasn't quite high enough to get all my money back out when I refinanced, the fire/re-hire of a contractor hurt me a little, and the closing costs were higher than anticipated. But, for my first deal I'm thrilled, just got my my money back out, and will be looking for deal #2!

Some before pics:

And some after pics:

42Reply
353 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 9 votes
7y

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your success. I'm looking for a lender to refinance a rental property. Who did you deal with and how did that process work? Congrats good luck with number 2.

See this reply in the discussion

108 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Tinley Park, IL · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurloc Congrats! great to hear success story. We are in process of our first deal. fingers crossed and will updated community when done!

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock Looks great Brandon, congrats!!! Does your contractor travel to Pittsburgh for jobs? Haha

  • Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Looks amazing! Congratulations on completing your first deal and good luck toward the 2nd.

  • Lender · NJ · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    That looks amazing!!! Congrats on your first project :-) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulfport, MS · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 133 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock great job!

  • Rental Property Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock this is sweet, I think this is a HUGE win for a first time BRRRR, you have a unit and enough money to get into another one!

  • Lender · Member since 2019 · 77 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Looks great - congrats!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock

    Congratulations!!! The property looks great!

  • Investor · Winhall, VT · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    Really cool, congrats!

  • Peter StewartBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 160 posts · 168 votes
    7y

    Great job! If you're open to sharing, I'd love to see how the numbers break down. Here's my guess:

    $1000 for rent

    $100 mgmt

    $515 PITI

    $150 vacancy/repairs/cap ex (5% each)

    $765 total expenses

    $235/mo cash flow 

    $2820/annual on $4k investment = 70% ROI

    Is this close?

  • Realtor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 113 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Stewart:

    Great job! If you're open to sharing, I'd love to see how the numbers break down. Here's my guess:

    $1000 for rent

    $100 mgmt

    $515 PITI

    $150 vacancy/repairs/cap ex (5% each)

    $765 total expenses

    $235/mo cash flow 

    $2820/annual on $4k investment = 70% ROI

    Is this close?

    Thanks! Well, it's not much of a guess, since I shared all those numbers above. ;)

    But yes, those are spot on, except that I'm self-managing for now, so that's another $100 in my pocket. $335/mo cash flow, $4020 annual on $4 investment: 100% ROI.

  • New to Real Estate · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock

    Congratulations!

  • Peter StewartBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 160 posts · 168 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock Sorry, I scrolled through all 4 pages and caught the $515 figure referenced, but must have missed the post with the #'s above. Thank you for re-sharing. Sounds like you landed the perfect BRRR!

  • Rahway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock did you have contractors come in and give rehab estimates before you put an offer on the property, or did you already have an idea how much the rehab should cost?

  • Realtor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 113 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Josh Thompson:

    @Brandon Spurlock did you have contractors come in and give rehab estimates before you put an offer on the property, or did you already have an idea how much the rehab should cost?

    My wholesaler already had the house under contract, so there was no “offer” - the price was set. He also has contracting/investing experience, so he was able to give me rehab estimates up front.  

  • Newport News, VA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Nice work Brandon...I'm up in Stafford...and it's PRICY. Keep on doing the good work in Richmond, I would love to buy some stuff down there in the next year. My rental is in Newport news so a bit of a drive. How is the multifamily market around you? Keep the updates coming. Jeremy

  • Realtor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 113 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Elcox:

    Nice work Brandon...I'm up in Stafford...and it's PRICY. Keep on doing the good work in Richmond, I would love to buy some stuff down there in the next year. My rental is in Newport news so a bit of a drive. How is the multifamily market around you? Keep the updates coming. Jeremy

    Honestly, I haven't researched MF a ton yet, but I'd really like to. From the little I've looked into them, they seem to be few and far between, and finding properties in decent areas is even more difficult. It's a nut I'd like to crack in the coming year.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock so cool 🤙🏽 ! And yes finding a good contractor is very hard. Way to go man!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2019 · 121 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock great job! Just went under contract on my first investment property and looking to BRRRR as well. My next step is locking down a good contractor!

    Good luck on your 2nd!

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock

    Congrats I’m happy for your success how did you find your first property and how did you come up with the money to fix it up

  • fontana, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock thx a lot. Good luck on the next one.

  • Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    Congratulations @Brandon Spurlock !! Thanks for sharing, seeing others succeed is a great motivator.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 210 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    Hello Brandon,

    Congrats on this BRRRR. Best of luck on your future endeavors.

    Sincerely,

  • Adrian StamerPro Member
    Real Estate Investor & Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    7y

    Feel free to send your wholesaler my way :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Tysons, VA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 45 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Spurlock can you share the zip code of the perperty? Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.