My first Duplex in 2015 - Vancouver, WA

My first Duplex in 2015 - Vancouver, WA

Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 6 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $275,000
Cash invested: $10,000

I searched for duplexes in my area using Zillow in 2015. At the time, new duplex listings came up often. I sent in offers for approximately 5 duplexes until an offer was accepted.

Some information about the duplex:
Purchase Price: $275,000.00
Down Payment: 3.25% FHA loan
Mortgage Payment: $1,750.00
Bed/Bath: 2Bd/2Ba per unit
SF: 1,000 sf per unit
Total Rent once fully rented: $2,155.00
Cash Flow before expenses: $405/month

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Living in one unit and renting out the other unit made this deal really interesting. I wanted to invest in a property while buying a primary home.

What was the outcome?

I analyzed the duplex and found that if I rent out one of the units, I would be paying 1/3 of the mortgage payment out of pocket. I was paying off my school loans, so decreasing the mortgage payment was great. I rotated through roommates while living in my unit, which helped for 75% of the mortgage payment.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Purchasing a duplex while renting out the other unit and any spare bedrooms helped me save money for future investments. This is the best route for any newbie investor who wants to get started on a small scale.

0Reply
25 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 359 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    Nice job @Denny Le, I did the same thing with my first investment and it worked out great. Mine was a 203k FHA loan because it needed some work.

    It is a great way to get things started. 

    How is your investing going now?

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    My gf at the time, now my wife, purchased a single family home a year later in 2016. In 2019 we moved again into a longer term home. Right now, the plan is to sell our single family home and roll it into a multifamily home located somewhere in the United States. I'm currently searching in Albuquerque, NM because of its steady market, it may not appreciate as quickly as other areas, but the market does not fluctuate as greatly as other markets.

    How about yourself? @Austin Youmans

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 359 posts · 143 votes
    5y

    Good work @Denny Le

    We bought another forclosed duplex and a house with an separate studio/land that we will probably sell soon.

    We have also bought some more seller financed duplexes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.