What makes a property rent ready?

What makes a property rent ready?

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 5 votes

Hello.

I have a SFH that I recently bought. I've gotten different opinions from property management companies on the work that's needed. I want to limit the work to make the place rent ready but not break the bank as I'm planning for major updates in a year. It's zoned for multi family but the paperwork/process is complicated so I intend to rent it as a SFH for now.

Any suggestions? 


2Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Littleton, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 7 votes
3y

I have a problem sometimes where I want to keep adding to make it the best possible place to live. But you need to take a step back and understand what your goals are for the property and the tenants you expect to place. What's the competition in the area? If they're not putting in granite, no need for you to do something similar to make it "rent ready".

You said you plan to make major upgrades in a year. My advice would be to get it in decent condition now (carpets cleaned, repainting, deep house clean) then put it on the market. Maybe you get lucky with a tenant who pays what you're comfortable and wants to stay a few years. Then you can put those upgrades off until you have an exact understanding of what people are expecting.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

     @Concepcion D. First if your location is correct and your market is in Cleveland then I would first and foremost go look up whatever municipality you fall under and find out if they have any inspection requirements. They may have a whole list of things you need to do.  "rent ready" means a bunch of different things depending on the goal. If you are just looking to get someone in there for cheap to fill the time until you do a major renovation, then you can probably do less and just list it cheaper to let the price be the appeal.  On the other hand I'm a huge fan of premium products attract premium candidates.  


    You mentioned asking several PM's for recommendations, are you going to use a PM or were you using them as a consultant on the front end?  I only ask because if you are going to use a PM and have not settled on one yet, they I'd suggest describing your entire vision and timeline for the property to each of them to see if they can align with your goals and intentions for the home.   They are going to be a key piece to your team, so having them bought into the project early will pay dividends down he line if you get aligned now.   

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael K Gallagher:

     @Concepcion D. First if your location is correct and your market is in Cleveland then I would first and foremost go look up whatever municipality you fall under and find out if they have any inspection requirements. They may have a whole list of things you need to do.  "rent ready" means a bunch of different things depending on the goal. If you are just looking to get someone in there for cheap to fill the time until you do a major renovation, then you can probably do less and just list it cheaper to let the price be the appeal.  On the other hand I'm a huge fan of premium products attract premium candidates.  


    You mentioned asking several PM's for recommendations, are you going to use a PM or were you using them as a consultant on the front end?  I only ask because if you are going to use a PM and have not settled on one yet, they I'd suggest describing your entire vision and timeline for the property to each of them to see if they can align with your goals and intentions for the home.   They are going to be a key piece to your team, so having them bought into the project early will pay dividends down he line if you get aligned now.   

    There was a Point of Sale inspection that was done and repairs completed based on this.
    You make a good point about the kind of tenants will depend on the quality of the rental.  This is one of my biggest concerns as the last thing I would need as a new investor is to deal with evictions. The thing is I’m investing in Cleveland but live in Texas so I plan to hire a property management company.  I wanted to get estimates because I don’t want to sign a contract and be bound to have repairs that I can’t afford at this time.  I’ve talked to a few PMs but, I haven’t found a good fit.  

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    Regardless of the type of property, location, or budget, every element should be functional. If something does not function as designed, replace it, repair it appropriately, or remove it. There should be no safety hazards, especially tripping hazards, but also exposed sharp edges or plate glass; inadequate or poorly repaired/modified electrical systems; railings, stairs, and decks need to be safe and secure; all windows and doors should operate as intended. Everything should be very clean, including windows, screens, all appliances, light covers, cabinet doors. 

    All of this will help to prevent a myriad of problems that generally cost you...service calls and multiple trips to fix sticking doors or windows; electrical mystery problems; rehanging/adjusting sliding doors; liability from falls or injuries that could easily be prevented, and much more. By offering a really clean and functional unit, you will already be offering more than the typical LL, enabling you to rent quicker and/or at a higher rate.

    Painting or floorcoverings should be closely evaluated...a quick and inexpensive redo can make a huge difference in overall appearance, as long as the materials are in the realm of appropriate for the property. Reglazing tubs and surrounds is a great short term improvement if the pipes are not also at the end of their life, but know that if a leak develops, it all will need to come out!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Concepcion D. If you sent X contractors OR inspectors through a property you'd get X different answers - it's part of the process.

    When we started out and didn't know much, we'd get 3 bids and have to merge the 10-20% differences to create an updated Scope Of Work (SOW).

    Then we'd send our updated SOW back to all 3 contractors to update their bids.

    Even then, we'd often find additional things that needed to be done!

    Suggest you either walk the property with your PMC and the bids or have them send you narrated, in-depth video you can watch while looking at the bids.

    Then YOU decide what needs to be done!

    RECOMMEND you break your SOW into 3 segments:

    1) Health & Safety + Property Preservation repairs - these should always be done to avoid lawsuits & further property damage
    - Handrails
    - Smoke detectors
    - Water leaks
    - Etc

    2) Needed cosmetic repairs that will affect marketability
    - Ugly paint
    - Ugly flooring
    - Out of date kitchens

    3) Miscellaneous that may or may not affect marketability
    - New windows (assuming old ones work fine)
    - Above range microwave
    - Anything that is slightly damaged, but still functional. Many new landlords make the msitake of wanting to replace everything, but to make money on rentals, you want to maximize lifespans

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    You want to be up to par with your competition, don't just make it livable. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Concepcion D.:

    Hello.

    I have a SFH that I recently bought. I've gotten different opinions from property management companies on the work that's needed. I want to limit the work to make the place rent ready but not break the bank as I'm planning for major updates in a year. It's zoned for multi family but the paperwork/process is complicated so I intend to rent it as a SFH for now.

    Any suggestions? 



     Post pics of what it looks like currently.

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    I have a problem sometimes where I want to keep adding to make it the best possible place to live. But you need to take a step back and understand what your goals are for the property and the tenants you expect to place. What's the competition in the area? If they're not putting in granite, no need for you to do something similar to make it "rent ready".

    You said you plan to make major upgrades in a year. My advice would be to get it in decent condition now (carpets cleaned, repainting, deep house clean) then put it on the market. Maybe you get lucky with a tenant who pays what you're comfortable and wants to stay a few years. Then you can put those upgrades off until you have an exact understanding of what people are expecting.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Concepcion D.:
    Quote from @Michael K Gallagher:

     @Concepcion D. First if your location is correct and your market is in Cleveland then I would first and foremost go look up whatever municipality you fall under and find out if they have any inspection requirements. They may have a whole list of things you need to do.  "rent ready" means a bunch of different things depending on the goal. If you are just looking to get someone in there for cheap to fill the time until you do a major renovation, then you can probably do less and just list it cheaper to let the price be the appeal.  On the other hand I'm a huge fan of premium products attract premium candidates.  


    You mentioned asking several PM's for recommendations, are you going to use a PM or were you using them as a consultant on the front end?  I only ask because if you are going to use a PM and have not settled on one yet, they I'd suggest describing your entire vision and timeline for the property to each of them to see if they can align with your goals and intentions for the home.   They are going to be a key piece to your team, so having them bought into the project early will pay dividends down he line if you get aligned now.   

    There was a Point of Sale inspection that was done and repairs completed based on this.
    You make a good point about the kind of tenants will depend on the quality of the rental.  This is one of my biggest concerns as the last thing I would need as a new investor is to deal with evictions. The thing is I’m investing in Cleveland but live in Texas so I plan to hire a property management company.  I wanted to get estimates because I don’t want to sign a contract and be bound to have repairs that I can’t afford at this time.  I’ve talked to a few PMs but, I haven’t found a good fit.  


     Got some PMs that I think would be able to help you out. Let's connect.

  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ronnie Kendrick:

    I have a problem sometimes where I want to keep adding to make it the best possible place to live. But you need to take a step back and understand what your goals are for the property and the tenants you expect to place. What's the competition in the area? If they're not putting in granite, no need for you to do something similar to make it "rent ready".

    You said you plan to make major upgrades in a year. My advice would be to get it in decent condition now (carpets cleaned, repainting, deep house clean) then put it on the market. Maybe you get lucky with a tenant who pays what you're comfortable and wants to stay a few years. Then you can put those upgrades off until you have an exact understanding of what people are expecting.


     This is great advice. Unless the house is completely wrecked or severely dated for the area  "major upgrades" rarely payoff. Fresh paint, new floors, make sure everything works as should and get as much rent as possible. Do the math, if you spend $20-$50K in improvements to get a couple hundred dollars more in rent, it doesn't make sense.  

  • Investor · Cleveland · Member since 2022 · 58 posts · 41 votes
    3y

    Presumably you hire the PMs to advice on the best course of action with the repairs themselves. A seasoned professional would know more about the needs to make your property work. Do a hard vetting on that part of the funnel, but I wouldn't second guess their recommendations once you decided (unless replacement is in order).

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 227 posts · 133 votes
    3y
    There are a lot of great checklists you can find online for what needs to be done to be considered rent ready.  A lot of people nailed it on the head in this thread, but definitely watch out for sleazy property managers trying to overcharge you for things you don't really need.  It's best to get 3 quotes if you can and judge for yourself what needs to be done and what is excessive.  Lots of sleazy and poorly run property management companies in the area, trust me I've worked at a lot them unfortunately!  Best of luck!
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Ronnie Kendrick you want to "Maintain to the Neighborhood" to avoid over improving.

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    Hi there! Here are a few suggestions to help you get your single-family home rent ready while limiting costs:

    1. Prioritize safety: Make sure all electrical and plumbing systems are in good working order, smoke detectors are installed, and any necessary safety repairs are made.
    2. Clean and declutter: Clean the interior and exterior of the property, remove any personal items and clutter, and make sure it is free of any damage.
    3. Neutral decor: Use neutral paint colors and flooring to make the property appealing to a wide range of renters.
    4. Basic updates: Consider updating the kitchen and bathroom with new fixtures, countertops, and tile, if necessary. Replace any worn or damaged flooring.
    5. Landscaping: Clean up the yard, trim any overgrown trees or bushes, and make sure the property is well-maintained.
    6. Professional photos: Hire a professional photographer to take photos of the property to use in your marketing materials. This will help attract prospective renters.
    7. Price it right: Research rental rates in the area and price your property competitively.

    Remember, the goal is to make the property rent ready, so keep your upgrades limited to the essentials and prioritize cost-effectiveness. Good luck with your rental property!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Concepcion D.:

    Hello.

    I have a SFH that I recently bought. I've gotten different opinions from property management companies on the work that's needed. I want to limit the work to make the place rent ready but not break the bank as I'm planning for major updates in a year. It's zoned for multi family but the paperwork/process is complicated so I intend to rent it as a SFH for now.

    Any suggestions? 


     Safe, up to code, and passing all inspections, of course all new cosmetics. ( and anything else required )  I have done about 2k repairs/ renovations with 1ks of move in and outs, out there so know a thing or two 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.