• Real Estate Agent
  • New Haven/NYC
Votes |
Insane Quotes to Replace Shingles!

Dondre Roberts
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Haven/NYC
Posted Mar 20 2023, 19:31

Hey everyone--there was a windstorm here last week and I noticed a few of my shingles came off. A roofer told me I'd need about 30 to be replaced.

- 1st quote: $850
- 2nd quote: $2,850
- 3rd quote: $1,350

I'm pretty new at this so I am unsure--is this typical to replace a few shingles? To my naked eye, someone just needs to go up there, seal a few on the roof and hammer them in. Is there something I'm missing.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Polanski
  • Chicago, Il
Votes |
  • Chicago, Il
Replied Mar 20 2023, 19:40

If you got 3 quotes that are exactly the same scope, then yes that is typical for your area.

You are welcome to make the repairs yourself, if you want to get up 2 stories and repair that old 3 tab roof. 

Id get a couple more quotes, and then talk to your insurance if you dont want to pay. 

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Mar 21 2023, 09:55
Awwwww.... Danny took most of my thunder! lolol

Yes Dondre, if you believe it is such a simple job... then go and put your own 2 story+ ladder up there! (And you have full Insurance, that covers working on "roofs" right!?)  Be sure to tie it off for safety of course... and have a gutter guard insert to put into the gutter so you don't crush it, as you'll mostly be working off of the ladder it seems.  Move or remove the damaged shingles, secure or remove the excess nails.  Reposition the shingles that are still good, weave in the new/replacement shingles... know where and how to nail them in, properly of course (laying them in correclty, no double overlap and all the tabs lining up as they should); nail down the adjoining ones too; seal all the worked shingle joints in that area; get up on and check the rest of the roof of course to make sure no other damage it present...
Oh, but it'll probably only be about 10 shingles, but you'll need 1 whole bundle to get those 10-12.  (not 30).

Even the lowest price seems high but, if those are the going rates in your area ... or if your calling the TV advertisers, of course your going to get high quotes!  Find a Roofer that has been in business a long time, has the insurance to cover themselves (and your property), and warranties any work done.  You'll probably come in around $4-500.  But again, it all depends on what prices are for your area.

But no the insurance usually won't help... remember any $ amounts under the Deductible is our responsibility and you won't get paid anything.  So small repairs are usually on our own backs (as homeowners).  Unless of course your going to try and get them to pay for replacing the whole roof... that's a different story, for another time! :)

Good luck on the project!

(with  J's Roofing - Richardson, TX)
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes