Not paying tenant and mold situation

Not paying tenant and mold situation

Rental Property Investor · Dallas · Member since 2021 · 84 posts · 22 votes

Hi.

One of my units which I have an inherent teanet, has got the mold issue.

The issue was there before i purchased the property. (About year ago).she was silent during this time and when I closed the property, I renewed her lease for 2 years (a year and 4 months remaining).

Now , she claims that she has been sick with all her children due to the mold issue. I hired a licensed mold assessment company and after they got the results, the referred me to the mold remediation company which it has to be according to the Texas law.

I need to get it done right but she is asking not to pay the rent for the entire March plus I need to get her the hotel.

I offered her rent relief or hotel not both.

The job will take one week and my offer was 10 days rent relief or pay for the hotel.

She needs both and saying she wont allow the company to start the job and neither pay the rent until I get her the hotel.

I already paid the mold assessment company for the report ($1000.00) and then another $7000.00 to the different company for mold remediation.

She is saying she wont allow the company to start the job.

And I told her it can't be refused since this is the health issue and first priority.

Any advice will be appreciated in advance.

Can I evict her?

Just curious.

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Alex Moazeni

    You are already out $8,000; I would probably call around and see what kind of deal you could get at a hotel for 10 days. An extra $2,000 or $2,500 is not ideal, but you can rectify the problem once and for all. Additionally, you already paid for the work, so I would want them to complete the job ASAP. If it is still a problem, I would also give them 10 days of rent relief. I might speak to your attorney and see if they can sign something as well. Mold issues can become major legal issues if the tenant were to go that route. I would try to get something signed if you get a hotel and offer free rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas · Member since 2021 · 84 posts · 22 votes
    1y

    @Charles Carillo thanks

    That's what I was thinking about.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    I'd work on getting her out and dealing with the problem.  If it is 10 days, tell her you will pay for the hotel (you pick), but that's it.  She's on her own for food (don't tell her that, but just say you'll cover the hotel for X nights).  Does she not have insurance?

    When it comes to lease renewal, I'd also work on getting rid of her.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.