Property Manager · Cleveland · Member since 2025 · 52 posts · 28 votes
Hey BP fam,
I see a lot of investors (especially starting out) trying to save that 8-10% by self-managing. I get the math, but honestly, I've seen it backfire more often than not.
A few things I've noticed that usually "break" a self-manager:
The Second Job: If you’re chasing rent or coordinating repairs at 9 PM, you haven't bought an investment—you’ve bought a part-time job. Your time is better spent finding the next deal.
The "Buffer" Factor: It's hard to be the bad guy. Having a professional middleman keeps things strictly business and stops those "emotional" late payments from becoming a habit.
Local Landmines: Especially in markets like Cleveland with strict Lead-Safe laws and POS inspections, one legal mistake can cost way more than years of management fees.
Real estate is a team sport. The most successful investors I know aren't the ones fixing the toilets—they’re the ones managing the people who do.
For those who finally handed over the keys to a PM: what was the "breaking point" that made you do it?
Property Manager · Southfield Mi · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 172 votes
8mo
It is sort of weird watching a person who has retired, jump into the world of REI and in essence create a new full time, stress saturated job for themselves. All to avoid paying a PM.
Property Manager · Southfield Mi · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 172 votes
8mo
It is sort of weird watching a person who has retired, jump into the world of REI and in essence create a new full time, stress saturated job for themselves. All to avoid paying a PM.
Rental Property Investor · CO · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 7 votes
8mo
I have been self managing and doing my own rehabs for several years. I listen to Brandon Turners book on Managing Real Estate every year to keep knowledge fresh. It is all about systems. I like properties close to my house in a tough market to cash flow. Self managing is the difference between cash flow and no cash flow when starting. I have office hours and my tenants know that if there is an emergency that cannot wait which is plumbing to cut off the water and call a plumber. Takes 1 hour per month just to record income and expenses. Keep a personal liability policy of $1 million which costs $60 per month and screen tenants like they are your business partners. It is easier than people think. Create systems and learn the right way helps anyone get started. Everyone should start self managing. I have a property across the country and still self manage. I just pay the current tenants $100 to show the property and have a wifi lock.
Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
8mo
Mario, great perspective and I agree with much of this. Even though I am a Property Manager, I am not against investors self-managing, especially once they have the right foundation in place. Many of my investor clients actually use my services primarily for tenant placement and that is where I strongly recommend using a professional with experience. Getting the right tenant from the start who is properly screened, eliminates a huge percentage of the issues that cause self-management to fail.
Once you have a well-vetted tenant, clear systems for rent collection and communication
and a reliable handyman for repairs, I think self-managing is very doable for in-state investors with four or fewer properties. The problems usually arise when investors try to save money on the front end and end up paying for it later in stress, turnover or legal issues. I also agree real estate is a team sport. The most successful investors I work with know when to delegate, when to DIY and when to bring in the professionals.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 566 posts · 329 votes
8mo
There’s truth in that — the “savings” from DIY often disappear in places people don’t track.
What usually breaks self-managers isn’t one big event, it’s the slow drain. Late-night coordination, chasing small issues, and constant context switching turn ownership into a second job. Even capable owners start making slower decisions or putting things off.
Another tipping point is enforcement. When rent, rules, and boundaries get personal, consistency slips. That’s where habits form that are hard to unwind later.
And compliance risk is real. As regulations tighten, one missed step can outweigh a lot of saved fees.
Self-managing can work with strong systems and the right temperament. But once portfolios or life demands grow, the real cost tends to be time, stress, and operational inconsistency — not just vendor pricing.