I have two duplexes. One I currently live in and the other one is strictly an investment property. We recently had 8 pipes burst in the investment house and have a lot of damage…
I’m working with the insurance company to fix the damage and get most of our money back that we had to spend getting everything dried and fixed up. Our tenant has been fantastic through this whole ordeal which has been helpful. I feel like I’m drowning and every time I turn around, something is breaking or needs attention and we have been getting hammered with snow this winter which means more cleanup. I’m tempted to sell my investment property but I feel like I’m quitting too soon if I do that. Any advice?
Don't make an emotional decision. Repairs and surprises happen, part of owning properties. Let things settle before you decide. I would focus on the numbers. Is the rent coming in covering expenses (cap ex, repairs, mortgage, etc)? Is the area appreciating, have room to grow? If not and you are having to pour cash into it then that can be a red flag. Real estate is a long game. As time goes rent increases, debt is paid down and you are seeing returns grow.
Don't make an emotional decision. Repairs and surprises happen, part of owning properties. Let things settle before you decide. I would focus on the numbers. Is the rent coming in covering expenses (cap ex, repairs, mortgage, etc)? Is the area appreciating, have room to grow? If not and you are having to pour cash into it then that can be a red flag. Real estate is a long game. As time goes rent increases, debt is paid down and you are seeing returns grow.
Gia — 8 burst pipes would rattle anyone. Before you make a decision, separate the stress from the numbers. After insurance pays out, what's your real out-of-pocket? Once repairs are done, what's the property worth and does it still cash flow after 5% vacancy, 8–10% maintenance, and 8–10% CapEx? If the fundamentals are still strong, this may be an operational setback — not a reason to exit.
If it’s burnout from managing snow, emergencies, and surprises, that’s a systems issue. Better winterization protocols, freeze sensors, or even hiring property management (8–10%) could restore stability. Sell if the math says redeploying the capital makes sense — not because this winter hit hard.
@Gia Barber - what you are seeing is normal for CT this year. I had multiple properties with ice dams, frozen and burst pipes, etc. There is nothing about managing property that is passive.
I own a bunch of properties in CT and a property management company in CT. I have a very contrarian view point that has served me well (bought and still own over 20 properties buying in 2012-2021).
Back in 2012, everyone was afraid to buy real estate. That's when I bought aggressively. When COVID happened and everyone was fleeing NYC, I asked my wife if she wanted a Manhattan house. With the overbuilding and people fleeing hurricanes in Florida, I asked my wife if she wanted to buy a nice house down there.
For me, what you are experiencing is reflective of the entire CT market right now. A bunch of people are starting to think about whether they want to continue to play this game. There is nothing wrong with selling but maybe you could lemons into lemonaide and start looking to buy from other people experiencing the same thing you are feeling.
I agree with the others, don't make an emotional decision. Often it seems that multiple things happen at the same time, but thankfully they don't happen often. Wait for repairs to be finished, give yourself a few months and then sit down and go through the numbers-what would you do with the money if you sold it vs keep it-how do the numbers look?
I definitely feel your pain. I had a duplex where the upstairs tenant caused 150k of damage (Fire). I let the insurance claim do its thing and rebuilt the structure. Insurance covered loss of rents and rehab. I know it can feel like everything is happening at once, but that happens in your regular life at times. We all go through tough cycles in life.
Take a step back. Make the repairs and re-evaluate things when you have time to reflect. I kept that building for a number of years.
This is the advantage of conducting BRRRR projects. Where you are rehabbing the property and in end those annoying maintenance issues go away for the most part. Maintenance will always occur, but it's best if we can minimize it.
My post is not directed towards the emotions involved--previous comments have good advice on that.
This is more mechanical: whenever the pipes froze and broke, we replaced the copper with PEX. If pex lines freeze, they will may get a pinhole pissy leak, not a flood. It will be spotted and can be easily repaired. And the material cost is a fraction of copper.
I've never had a pex line blow up--they expand.
Good luck moving forward.
Eight burst pipes isn’t a small inconvenience — that’s a real operational shock. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed after something like that. Big events tend to distort how we view the whole investment.
Before making a sell/hold decision, I’d separate two things: temporary stress vs. long-term fundamentals.
Right now you’re in crisis mode — insurance claims, repairs, winter cleanup. That’s emotionally and mentally draining. But ask yourself: is the property fundamentally sound once restored? Or is it structurally high-maintenance even in normal years?
A few questions that usually help clarify:
After repairs, will the property produce acceptable cash flow?
Is this a one-off weather event, or does the property regularly demand heavy oversight?
Do you have adequate reserves going forward to absorb shocks like this?
If everything were calm today, would you still want to own it?
Selling out of exhaustion can sometimes mean giving up a solid long-term asset. On the other hand, if the property consistently strains your time, finances, and stress tolerance, it may simply not fit your lifestyle or risk profile.
This isn’t about “quitting.” It’s about whether the asset still aligns with your goals and bandwidth. Sometimes holding is discipline. Sometimes exiting is discipline.
The key is making the decision from a clear place — not from the middle of a storm.
I have two duplexes. One I currently live in and the other one is strictly an investment property. We recently had 8 pipes burst in the investment house and have a lot of damage…
I’m working with the insurance company to fix the damage and get most of our money back that we had to spend getting everything dried and fixed up. Our tenant has been fantastic through this whole ordeal which has been helpful. I feel like I’m drowning and every time I turn around, something is breaking or needs attention and we have been getting hammered with snow this winter which means more cleanup. I’m tempted to sell my investment property but I feel like I’m quitting too soon if I do that. Any advice?
Why are you self-managing?
Maybe that's the problem?
First, eight burst pipes isn’t a small event. Anyone would feel overwhelmed dealing with that, insurance, contractors, snow, and ongoing maintenance all at once. What you’re feeling isn’t failure — it’s fatigue.
The key question isn’t “am I quitting?” It’s: Does this property still fit my capacity and long-term plan?
A few things I’d step back and evaluate:
Is this a temporary stress spike (insurance claim + harsh winter), or a pattern of ongoing capital issues?
After repairs, what does the realistic cash flow look like?
How much reserve do you have for the next surprise?
If you sold, what would you actually do with the equity?
Sometimes owners sell from exhaustion, not strategy. Other times, they realize the property requires more operational energy than they want to give long-term.
One practical approach is to wait until:
Repairs are complete
Insurance is settled
The property is stabilized
Then make the decision from a clear head, not from the middle of chaos.
Selling isn’t quitting. Holding isn’t bravery. The right answer usually comes down to whether the asset aligns with your risk tolerance, time bandwidth, and financial goals — not whether you can survive a tough season.
First, eight burst pipes isn’t a small event. Anyone would feel overwhelmed dealing with that, insurance, contractors, snow, and ongoing maintenance all at once. What you’re feeling isn’t failure — it’s fatigue.
The key question isn’t “am I quitting?” It’s: Does this property still fit my capacity and long-term plan?
A few things I’d step back and evaluate:
Is this a temporary stress spike (insurance claim + harsh winter), or a pattern of ongoing capital issues?
After repairs, what does the realistic cash flow look like?
How much reserve do you have for the next surprise?
If you sold, what would you actually do with the equity?
Sometimes owners sell from exhaustion, not strategy. Other times, they realize the property requires more operational energy than they want to give long-term.
One practical approach is to wait until:
Repairs are complete
Insurance is settled
The property is stabilized
Then make the decision from a clear head, not from the middle of chaos.
Selling isn’t quitting. Holding isn’t bravery. The right answer usually comes down to whether the asset aligns with your risk tolerance, time bandwidth, and financial goals — not whether you can survive a tough season.