Votes
Kyle Fowler
  • St. John'S, NL
Votes |
St. John's, Newfoundland

Kyle Fowler
  • St. John'S, NL
Posted Dec 3 2020, 19:17

Hey! Seeing if anyone here is actively investing in real estate in Newfoundland!

I'm very new to real estate, currently only 19, however listening to bigger pockets and reading about real estate investing has me very interested in pursuing it as a long term career. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of investing in Newfoundland, like what to familiarize myself with, or if there are any groups in the area? Thanks in advance, would love to hear anything you have to say! 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Keough
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. John's NL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. John's NL
Replied Dec 7 2020, 07:51

Hey Kyle, one of the reasons I became an agent was actually because I wanted to invest in real estate. Being an agent gives me access to the MLS and lots of valuable info about real estate and the current market. I don't really know of many groups but I'm currently working on finding flippers and investors in the city. I plan on taking on a flip/house hack myself within the next couple months after Christmas. I've been looking at foreclosures in the city to see if they are a good deal or not and I've found some good opportunities. If you ever have any questions I'd be more than glad to help!

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Fowler
  • St. John'S, NL
Votes |
  • St. John'S, NL
Replied Dec 7 2020, 08:17

Thanks @Brandon Keough! I've been searching myself and there doesn't seem to be a very large community of investors here, at least not public ones.

I've been trying to learn how to analyze properties and in my eyes the property around the downtown area seem like a fair investment however the age of the homes relative the price throws me off slightly. Is that something most renters/buyers are generally concerned with in the area?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Keough
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. John's NL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. John's NL
Replied Dec 7 2020, 08:36

Most buyers do prefer a newer home, however given the downtown location and the history its not easy to find something younger than 40 - 50 years old. But as long as everything has been inspected and the electrical and plumbing is all good, I've seen some good deals come from there. I'm currently looking into buying a mobile home and renovating it. The profits aren't as big because they usually sell for around 150K, but the rehabs are usually easier and the holding costs are cheaper. As well, a lot of people are looking into mobile homes because they are as cheap to buy as it is to rent a basement apartment.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Fowler
  • St. John'S, NL
Votes |
  • St. John'S, NL
Replied Dec 7 2020, 09:54

I can definitely see the appeal in mobile homes in the area. Affordable housing seems to be a good option for newfoundlanders, especially nowadays. In your opinion do you think they would work as brrr investments or mostly just flips?

It seems as if people would purchase a mobile home instead of renting one due to the lower price.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Keough
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. John's NL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • St. John's NL
Replied Dec 7 2020, 11:04

In my opinion, I think they're better to flip because people usually buy mobile homes because the mortgages are so cheap. I don't think I know anyone that rents them. Id usually stick to detached single/multi family for BRRRRs. However, anything is possible if the price is right and the numbers work.

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Osmond
  • Gander, NL
Votes |
  • Gander, NL
Replied Feb 22 2022, 11:13

Hi Kyle, I see this post is a year old but I just found BP! I am also an investor in NL. I currently own 2 properties (5 doors) in Gander and I would love to connect with some other local investors. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 13 2024, 21:58
Quote from @Amanda Osmond:

Hi Kyle, I see this post is a year old but I just found BP! I am also an investor in NL. I currently own 2 properties (5 doors) in Gander and I would love to connect with some other local investors. 

Hi all my name is Jay. I am a local investor in st johns NL.  Running 5 rental properties in the town. Love to share and connect. My email is [email protected] 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 13 2024, 22:02
Quote from @Brandon Keough:

Hey Kyle, one of the reasons I became an agent was actually because I wanted to invest in real estate. Being an agent gives me access to the MLS and lots of valuable info about real estate and the current market. I don't really know of many groups but I'm currently working on finding flippers and investors in the city. I plan on taking on a flip/house hack myself within the next couple months after Christmas. I've been looking at foreclosures in the city to see if they are a good deal or not and I've found some good opportunities. If you ever have any questions I'd be more than glad to help!

Hi Kyle and Brandon my name is Jay. I am a local investor based in St John's. Running 5 rental properties. Love to get connected 

[email protected] 

thanks