Invesor friendly RE companies

Invesor friendly RE companies

Tyler HunterPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Fargo, ND · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 12 votes

I am currently preparing to take the real estate licensing exam and was wondering what brokers people suggest? I have been told most brokers only want you to focus on buying and selling homes for clients (makes sense thats how they get paid). How should I go about finding an investor friendly broker? I have talked with a few and they all say they are ok with me pursuing my own properties, but I feel like they are saying that to get me to sign on with them..Any suggestions?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

@Tyler Hunter

Go to several different local REIA clubs. Find the people that have their lic for their work. See who they are with and why.

Paul

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    As far as BIG players that are innovative and investor-friendly, I really like Keller-Williams.

    But I also work with an agent who is part of a SMALL brokerage based here in Dallas and they go out of their way to work with our team. Seems like small brokerages have much more flexibility.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    When I started I looked for a broker who focused on investors. I was apart of a property management firm that had a leasing and selling side and specifically worked for investors. The boss encouraged me to start investing in real estate while I was there!

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Keller Williams is great for new agents looking for a career in RE, but you definitely pay for it via your split & cap. I did a year with them & got recruited by another broker.

    Even though you will do your own deals, you NEED experience. The problem with this business is that the barrier to entry is too low. 90% of agents really don't know what they are doing.

    I recommend starting with a place like KW that will mentor, train, etc & then move on when you are ready. By then you will know who is investor friendly etc.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    I agree with @Matt M. Start with KW and take advantage of their training (it will cost you a bit but will give you the basic knowledge you need) Then, I would identify the best investment oriented brokers in your are and move to them.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Dev Horn:
    As far as BIG players that are innovative and investor-friendly, I really like Keller-Williams.

    But I also work with an agent who is part of a SMALL brokerage based here in Dallas and they go out of their way to work with our team. Seems like small brokerages have much more flexibility.

    Completely agreed with Dev...

    If you're going to go with a big firm, go with KW, but expect to pay a lot in fees and commission splits. Smaller brokerages will tend to be more investor friendly, and many of them will have flat-fee services, so you don't give up a percentage of your commission. Though the smaller ones won't have the training programs and support of the larger ones.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    To @J Scott 's point - many of our guys just pay a listing broker a flat fee like $500 to list properties on the MLS, because it's a no-frills service that gets you what you need - i.e., found by BUYER'S agents!

    But yes, KW is great at working with serious investors for all the other things you need an agent/broker for - listed opportunities/REOs, comps/MLS access, sharing leads, etc. I have (an independent) KW agent on my "team" and she rocks.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Tyler Hunter

    Go to several different local REIA clubs. Find the people that have their lic for their work. See who they are with and why.

    Paul

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 208 posts · 70 votes
    12y
    Interview several brokers, ask a lot of questions. Rub shoulders with veteran agents and ask them. Personally, I think commission splits are for suckers. Broker offered Training is great, but you will pay for it with commission splits, desk fees and franchise fees.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.