How To Choose A Home Stager
Not all home stagers are created equal
Before hiring a stager, there are some things you should know. At this time, there is no independent national organization (like ASID for Interior Designers) that certifies home stagers or real estate stagers and no government oversight or licensing in most areas.
Here are some tips to help you select the right home stager for your project:
Remember - you get what you pay for.
- You are selling your most valuable asset (your home). Look for the staging professional with the greatest competency, experience and professionalism, rather than the cheapest price.
Hire the Los Angeles stager with the most real world experience, not the stager with the most letters behind their name.
- Experience and professionalism trumps “certification”, “education” or “designation” in the staging world.
Ask to see the stager’s portfolio, either on-line or a hard copy (book form).
- Does their portfolio display a wide range of styles or do all the homes they stage look the same? Make sure the stager is capable of staging in a manner that accentuates the architecture of your home and will be attractive to the buyers in your area.
You want an experienced stager who has lots of jobs under their belt, and lots of photos of their work.
- All photos in a stager’s portfolio should be of their own work. Ask the stager if the photos in their portfolio are of jobs they performed themselves or as part of a class exercise.
Ask for references, including phone numbers and/or email addresses.
- Check those references.
Ask for proof of liability insurance.
- If they are not insured, then you may be liable for any damages or injuries that may occur as a result of the staging. All helpers and employees of the company should be covered by Workers Comp Insurance.
Make sure you are given a clearly written contract and that you understand all aspects of the contract.
- If you don’t understand something, or something you discussed is missing, ask for clarification.
Trust your gut. Do you get a good feeling from meeting the stager?
- Do they seem well organized? Do they make notes and take photographs?Just as in any business relationship, you should expect to be treated with professionalism, courtesy & respect.
When you hire Moving Mountains Design to stage a home, you get all this and more:
In addition to staging your Los Angeles or Pasadena home to showcase its most appealing characteristics, we will provide you or the listing agent with professional quality photos of your home for use in the MLS, on the internet or in print marketing. Since almost 90% of home buyers are searching for homes on the internet before contacting a real estate agent, this gives your home a distinct marketing edge. This is a value added (free) service for all our vacant and occupied home staging clients (addl. charge for consultation only clients).
We treat our staging clients with the utmost respect, courtesy & professionalism. Our goal is to stage your home in a manner that exceeds your expectations, helps you sell your home fast, and for top dollar.
Moving Mountains Design, providing home staging consultations, vacant home staging and occupied home staging services in Southern California including Los Angeles, Los Feliz, Pasadena, San Marino, Arcadia, Long Beach, Studio City, Encino & the San Fernando Valley.