Rental Property Investor · San Diego/Chicago · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 19 votes
Hi folks,
We are currently under contract for a condo sale in Chicago. The buyer requested an extension to inspection, which we granted (two days). After inspection, we replied to the buyer’s requests within a few hours (agreed, negotiated, and rejected a few). And then we’ve had radio silence. It’s only been 24 hours, but inspection expired end of business yesterday (7 hours after we replied).
My lawyer is saying my only options are to wait or terminate, lose the earnest money, and re-list.
Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 222 posts · 153 votes
5y
@Noah Lomax
I would wait up to 3 days then inquire about the response. And attorney review is likely still open. Attorneys add a provision that attorney review shall remain open until requests are resolved. Very normal timelines though-nothing to stress about yet.
Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 222 posts · 153 votes
5y
@Noah Lomax
I would wait up to 3 days then inquire about the response. And attorney review is likely still open. Attorneys add a provision that attorney review shall remain open until requests are resolved. Very normal timelines though-nothing to stress about yet.
Did you reach out to the buyer's agent or attorney for an update? 24 hours isn't that long but if it turns into 2 or 3 days with no word at all that's not a good sign.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego/Chicago · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 19 votes
5y
@Michael J Scanlon@Paul De Luca Thank you both for your input. It's been so frustrating as we had multiple offers from aggressive buyers, and then the buyer has been completely disengaged since being in escrow. I just moved here from San Diego, which is an even hotter market and simply haven't dealt with this in my previous deals. Thank you for helping me keep a cool head.
@Henry Lazerow I was considering this approach. I wish we had done it when we sent the last round. We certainly will on any response. Thank you!
Attorney · Chicagoland · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 7 votes
5y
If you are using the 7.0 Contract, the Buyer has 5 days after the Date of Acceptance to complete the inspection and contact the Seller about repairs.
I don't believe it requires that Buyer and Seller reach an agreement within the 5 day inspection period.
Nor do I believe either party can unilaterly terminate under the 7.0 until 10 days after the Date of Acceptance.
However you might be able to withdraw your response if they don’’t respond by your deadline.
I know you're anxious but it is common for buyers to take several days to review all the issues with their attorney and to direct their attorney to accept your final response.
Consider having your agent contact the other agent for an update.
We are currently under contract for a condo sale in Chicago. The buyer requested an extension to inspection, which we granted (two days). After inspection, we replied to the buyer’s requests within a few hours (agreed, negotiated, and rejected a few). And then we’ve had radio silence. It’s only been 24 hours, but inspection expired end of business yesterday (7 hours after we replied).
My lawyer is saying my only options are to wait or terminate, lose the earnest money, and re-list.
Do we have any other options?
Grateful for any guidance!
It looks like you've received a lot of replies to this already. I haven't read the thread so I apologize if my recommendation is a repeat of what someone else has already advised. I would your realtor reach out to the other realtor and inquire on the delay. While we love our attorney, often time the deal only gets done if the realtors make it happen independent of the lawyers.
There's another alternative. One that we only use if both the realtors and attorneys are messing up a deal. We reach directly out to the buyer. If the buyer's contact details are on the contract, reach out directly to them and find out what's going on. The buyer's attorney or realtor may complain, but the deal is between you and the buyer. Sometimes a direct contact can push a deal along.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego/Chicago · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 19 votes
4y
Hey All, I'm just realizing my reply to this thread never posted.
We went a little sweet and salty to close out the deal. We offered the buyer a $500 closing credit if they closed out inspection that day, but alternatively we would cancel the deal if they did not as we viewed the non-responsiveness as waning interest. They took the deal.
In all, the flip was my first and I'm grateful that it was super successful. There's a lot I'd do differently next time, and hopefully be even more profitable. But I'm happy with our first! Thank you for the kindness and help you all showed in your knowledge sharing!