Accidental Landlord Bleeding -$700/mo in Copperas Cove, TX (Fort Hood): VA Loan @
Hey BP Community,
Looking for some candid feedback from seasoned Texas investors and anyone operating in the Fort Hood / Killeen / Copperas Cove market.
Property Overview:
Type: Single-Family Residence (4 Bed / 2 Bath, 1,827 sq ft) in Copperas Cove, TX
Purchased: July 2024
Financing: VA Loan originally ~$294k @ 5.99% fixed (30-year)
Current Balance: ~$286,000
Current Rent: $1,800/month (Leased through March/April 2027)
The Monthly Cash Flow Reality:
Gross Rent: $1,800
Property Management (10%): -$180
Net Rent Received: $1,620
Mortgage (P&I + Hazard): -$1,850
Property Taxes: -$454
Net Cash Flow: -$684/month (out of pocket)
The Tax Shock:
We originally purchased under the expectation of a 100% disabled veteran property tax exemption (Texas Tax Code § 11.131). When we relocated for work in March, we learned the hard way that § 11.131 is strictly a homestead exemption. On a rental property, it resets to § 11.22, which only knocks off a flat $12,000 from the assessed value, leaving us with a $454/mo tax bill that completely inverted our cash flow.
Our Agent’s Recommendation:
We spoke to an agent about selling. Her advice was:
Selling with an active tenant is tough because primary-residence buyers (VA/FHA) can't occupy within 60 days.
With comps around $265k–$280k, after 6% agent commissions, seller concessions, and closing costs, we'd have to bring $20k–$30k+ cash to the closing table.
She recommended "waiting 1–2 years."
The Problem:
Waiting 2 years burns over $16,400 in out-of-pocket cash bleed, while only paying down roughly $8,200 in principal. In Copperas Cove, where inventory is heavy and appreciation isn't guaranteed, we feel like waiting is just a slower, guaranteed way to lose capital.
Questions for the Forum:
VA Loan Assumption: How active is the market for VA assumptions around Fort Cavazos right now? At 5.99%, would an inbound service member be willing to assume this loan with an Entitlement Substitution, given there is virtually no equity gap to bridge?
Lease-Option: Has anyone successfully run a lease-option/sandwich lease in Copperas Cove to cover the negative spread until the market moves?
Hold vs. Cut Losses: If you were in our shoes, would you fire the PM, ride out the lease until spring 2027, and sell vacant—or write the check at closing now to stop the bleed?
Appreciate any insights or creative ideas you can share!