• Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Next step with a business partner

Christina Colon
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Jan 9 2024, 20:33

I've reached the point where I'm ready to partner up! 

my business partner and I have decided to go in on investing together! I want to ensure we do this right, but I feel lost and stuck! 

I'm looking for experience here, we are ready to take on our first deal together but unsure how to structure it so we are both protected. 

My questions are:

How do we legally set our agreement and protect our business? 

How do we file taxes under our business (Our LLC) ?

Who do we bring on board with us to ensure we are legally doing the right moves? 

How do you conquer book keeping if you both have to your personal funds into the deal? 

There may be more I'm leaving out, but any help would be great! 

For transparency:

Our vision is to build a portfolio of STR and MTR. I currently own two STR's and manage his STR.

Thank you all! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 9 2024, 20:54

- gather your thoughts and what is important for you two

- go to an business attorney and let him explain you which entity type fits your need

- let him draft an operating agreement and see if this is what you like and revise it if necassary

- ask an CPA and do a conference call between your attorney and CPA and check if both are on the same page and if bookkeeping can be done with that entity form

This is how I structured my 6 entities with family/friends/partners/limited partners/investors ect. 

To save cost and headache I suggest to keep your property and his property out. Keep it as it is. Only the new stuff has to be structured. Otherwise it's a nightmare for attorney and CPA to protect both of you. 

Usually a business attorney cost around $300 / Hour , CPA $150-$300/ hour. A draft of operating agreement cost $500. 

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jan 10 2024, 13:22

Totally agree with @Michael Thach that you need a real estate attorney and a real estate CPA. Let them guide you at setting up your business properly. There are endless ways you could structure your partnership, but you want someone to advise you how to do it in a way that protects both of you and your assets in the best way possible and with the right taxation structure for your particular situation.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 10 2024, 16:07

@Christina Colon

You should consult with a Real Estate attorney to draft up an operating agreement for your LLC.

Keep all business transactions within your business bank accounts and credit cards. 

If accounting isn't your thing, consider hiring a bookkeeper for a couple hundred dollars per month to manage your QuickBooks for you. Good bookkeeping will ensure that your CPA can properly advise you through your business growth. 

Initial funding with personal funds is fine. This is just considered a partner contribution on the books. 

Congrats on all your success so far. Happy Investing!

User Stats

Votes
Christina Colon
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 10 2024, 17:34

Thanks so much for this feedback! We have started the LLC. I will reach out to my CPA and find a good real estate Attorney! Thanks a million!

User Stats

Votes
Simon W.
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Replied Jan 10 2024, 19:39

you should focus on getting a real estate CPA.

As for the bookkeeping - make sure you have someone that focuses on real estate so at least that person can allocate the differences and not make a total mess for the CPA at year-end.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jan 11 2024, 06:53

There are normally three traits to make a business successful - Experience, Money, Time.

You mentioned already not having the experience. Does your business partner bring the experience.

If he doesn't bring experience, stop the partnership and either bring in another person who does have the experience or gather experience and then bring it to the partnership.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Replied Jan 12 2024, 08:34

@Christina Colon be aware that if you do start forming entities you may have additional tax filings. I always like to see a dating period before marrying partners under an agreement.