Pro Member
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba
Votes |
why dont lenders like the word "properties, investment" in LLc

Lee Cruz
Pro Member
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posted Mar 11 2017, 06:24

Hi there. Ive been reading on here that you shouldnt be naming your LLC like xyz properties or xyz investments, because lenders wouldnt be apt to invest in you, but what is the specific reason for that?

Also ive never seen a field where you can name it so many different ways. For example if your a plumbing company you call yourself xyz plumbing. But for investors i see 

xyz holdings

xyz realty - isnt this just for real estate agents?

xyz properties

xyz investments

xyz home solutions

xyz group etc

Whats in a name?

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Filali
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Replied Mar 11 2017, 06:37

I've read the same thing about lenders, but have never had the issue with my bank, but I have other business relationship with them going back for years and keep a lot of capital in their bank. 

Also when you're trying to buy properties, if the seller knows you're an investor, they will sometimes try to get more for their property vs. if they think you're just an individual looking to buy a fixer upper project or your first rental property. My primary LLC is a holding company with the name XYZ "Enterprises, LLC". Whenever I contact sellers, I make it sound like I'm just a friendly guy who lives in the area and am looking to buy a fixer upper project for me and my wife (not married by the way). I don't even bring up LLC until the contracting. One of the most successful ads I use says "My Wife and I are looking to buy a fixer-upper project" and I include a nice photo of a family (again not married & have no kids), it always gets a much better response then "Investors looking for homes", etc. I keep giving away my secrets.... :-)

User Stats

Votes
James Caruso
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Middle Island, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Middle Island, NY
Replied Mar 11 2017, 06:52

One thing I recently learned when setting up my LLC is in NY you can't use certain terms like "Investment" in your name unless authorized by the Dept of Finance.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Derwin
  • Investor
  • Mountaintop, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mountaintop, PA
Replied Mar 11 2017, 07:57

I have used holdings, properties, and investments.  I have never had a problem securing commercial/portfolio loan financing.

User Stats

Votes
Teddy Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Wilmington, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Wilmington, NC
Replied Mar 11 2017, 08:10

I've seen a few companies with the word "Properties" in it. I think not having the word "properties" would aid in privacy and negotiations.

There is a HUGE developer in my city with a company name like "Hugh Mungus, LLC". (Not the exact name, but you get the picture). The bigger groups tend to have really random names like R2RD, LLC.

This is probably very dependent on location also.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff B.
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Buy & Hold Owner
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Mar 11 2017, 08:15

As long as the name is unique to the State in which it is created, there is no "official" implications or job description restrictions, aka "xyz realtor".

User Stats

Votes
George Taylor
  • Wholesaler
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
Replied Mar 11 2017, 08:38

We've never turned someone away because of their name, doesn't make any sense to me. As far as the legal specifications in certain states and title of a company, that;s a different story as Mr. Caruso said. On our end though, it doesn't matter.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 15 2024, 21:52

False. Most of my clients buy properties with an LLC name like this. If anything, hard money lenders want to find more of these people not less. This is the core of their business. Cheers to the guy with no wife no kids that gives all of us a bad name.

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Wolff
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 17 2024, 20:45

I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone get turned away, etc, for having or not having specific words in the company name. 

Other industries maybe?

The One Brokerage Logo