Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Jure
  • Lakewood, OH
Votes |
CapEx Calculation Controversy

Matthew Jure
  • Lakewood, OH
Posted Jul 4 2018, 07:12

I've done a lot of investigating and found that if there is one thing that will kill a real estate investor, it is CapEx. CapEx has been dubbed the "Silent Investor Killer" because many investors don't a lot enough to CapEx according to what I can find. There seems to be consensus that you should get hard numbers on CapEx from a reliable source (eg, GC) when inspecting the property but that isn't where the controversy is. The controversy is how to do a preliminary estimate of CapEx in the early stages of evaluating a property.

Upon scouring the internet, podcasts, and picking investor's brains, these are the options to do an early estimate CapEx:

1. Use 5-10% of GSI (however, I've seen as high as 15%)
  2. $200-$400/month per door
  3. $/month per unit - this is all over the place ($50-$800+)
  4. Calculating all CapEx items savings per month
  5. $0.67 per square foot/year

My limited criticism for each method:

1. Most common recommendation I find is 5%. But compare California and Cleveland's GSI. GSI's are wildly different but cost to replace an item is similar. However, labor will increase the cost in California - but not proportionally. If you are saving 5% of $1500 GSI, then you only save $900/yr ($9,000 in 10 years). This hardly seems enough.
  2. Many save ~$200/mo per door. More reasonable (I think??), but I imagine this doesn't work when comparing a 2 unit vs 10 unit. 
  3. Saving per unit seems logical, but it gets a bit foggy when thinking about saving for a single roof, driveway, or other shared expense. 
  4. This makes the most sense, but you must be crazy accurate. Depending on how you fudge the numbers you can vary from 25%-50%+! This seems useless unless you have solid numbers. Maybe used after a walk-through with a GC.
  5. Using a square footage seems easy enough. If I used $0.67/sq ft on my double with a GSI of $1500, I would save about 8% of my GSI (~$1500).

Depending on which method you use (and the #s you enter), it can change your cash flow enough to make a good deal look bad and vice versa. If CapEx is the Silent Investor Killer, then many investors are underestimating their CapEx.

What are the thoughts of the BP community? 

Why do you feel your method is the best?

What method used in both California and the Midwest (if possible)?

Loading replies...