• Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Who Wants To Be A Mentor?

J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorPosted Feb 10 2013, 16:21

Is it just me, or has the number of mentor/coach/guru threads pick up tenfold over the past month or so?

Anyway, there are clearly a lot of people who are just starting out and are looking for help to get started. I've been pretty vocal about the fact that -- while there is nothing wrong with paying for a coach -- there are other, less costly avenues that can be just as, or more, fruitful for budding investors.

I've mentored a few other up-and-coming investors in the past (75% success ratio), but with the new family, I haven't had much time the past year or two. I'm thinking I might be ready again over the next few months...

I wanted to find out if any of the more seasoned investors here on BP may be interested in putting together a little "competition," where a bunch of us each takes on one new mentoring student for a few months and coaches them through a deal. We could even share mentoring tips, educational materials, etc. to make it easier for each of us and our students.

Perhaps even a larger group mentoring session on a monthly basis by phone or Skype, in addition to the local 1:1 coaching.

Any BP folks interested in potentially joining me in taking on a new student in 2013?

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 20 2013, 09:06

I see I'm late and not included, I didn't see who posted this originally and assumed it was a newbie asking for a mentor, so didn't look at it until I saw Rich reply, LOL, I didn't think he would have been interested, so wondered what this was all about...here I am!

Read page 1, 4 and 5, so....

Michael Quarles, hate you? Not from what I see or think at all and I'm glad to see you back after they let you out...(LOL)

I pass your requirements with one exception, I doubt I have "mentored" 100, at least not from beginning to end, if you count handholding Realtors that screwed up in a deal and took them from mid way to closing, well, way over that.

J Scott, great idea, but.....are you suggesting putting a bunch of newbies name's in a hat a drawing them out? At least when I taught subjects the new students walking in the door had met prerequsite levels. So, who gets the student who just finished a state real estate course, has a great job, money in the bank and good credit and who gets the one who doesn't know what a General Warranty Deed is, has no money, no creidt, no other job and watched a guru TV show? And then, devise a little friendly competition to success over a year? Have you figured out a handicap system yet to this monopoly game?

IMO, mentors should be local. I have no idea what is common practice in Dothan Alabama or Buffalo, New York and doubt any out of state "mentor" is really qualified to advise out of state students regardless of thier opinion of themselves. I have assisted folks in Buffalo, in basic concepts and requirements, absolutely not in areas where compliance would be needed with local laws, regualtions or customs. If I did so, and they screwed up, they get in trouble, that is not serving them well.

As J. Scott pointed out, a teacher needs to know the subject, which means I'd need to study RE requirements in some other state and local issues, I can see why a mentor needs to be compensated, without doing so, they aren't qualified no matter how many deals they did in Florida.

I agree with Rich, it would be a long reality show, filled with drama, humor and tradgedy. ")

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Bruno C.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Replied Feb 20 2013, 09:50

All of these responses are great. I'm new to BP and I'm in the process of starting in the real estate investing world. I'm in the Boston area and I would love to be mentored by someone with way more experience than I do. I'm just looking to learn enough to build a business and get involved. If anyone is in the Boston area I'd love to meet up.

Clipper Properties, LLC Logo
Topic locked
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Randy F.
  • Contractor
  • Anchorage, AK
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Anchorage, AK
Replied Feb 20 2013, 09:50

This mentoring thang is a bit too sexist for my taste! I've not heard a thing about the inclusion of womentors and womentees!!

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Feb 20 2013, 09:57

Randy F. sounds like you just want to be the tor-mentor ... :)

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 20 2013, 10:05

There are special allowances made for womentees in the qualification process! I am all for women's rights and special treatment. :)

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Feb 20 2013, 11:03

Hey folks, thanks for all the feedback!

Bill Gulley - This is certainly not a "throw names in a hat" sort of thing. Each mentor will have their own set of criteria for which they will find a suitable mentee...completely up to them.

Based on Josh's recommendation, I'm going to lock this thread now...if any other mentors would like to volunteer, shoot me a PM!

Topic locked