• San Marino, CA
Votes |
Contractor Rant

Jason Mak
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Marino, CA
Posted Jan 16 2015, 14:18

Few questions for the BP community:

1.  How do you deal with a contractor that asks what other estimates have come in at and then either matches the price or beats it by just a little bit, then expects to win the work?  (assume quality of work is the same)

My response has always been "put your best foot forward - if you want to play the game of undercutting another estimate, I'll also give the other contractor a shot at undercutting yours.

2.  What do you do/think, when a contractor bad mouths another one during the bidding process?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Mak
  • San Marino, CA
Votes |
  • San Marino, CA
Replied May 14 2015, 16:06

@david battle

@David Battle

Usually I ask other investors for referrals and start there.  I've also found contractors through yelp.com and craigslist.  Basically called about 10 of them and set aside a day for them to walk my job with me and submit a bid.  Many were unresponsive and some stood me up, it was pretty easy to narrow down to a short list.

User Stats

Votes
David Battle
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 14 2015, 20:10

@Jason Mak I'll definitely try that. I'm also thinking about taking a trip to Lowes or Home Depot in the morning to see if I can find a contractor there or at least get a referral to someone.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hicks
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Rossville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Rossville, GA
Replied May 14 2015, 20:35

When I started building 15 years ago, I took my materials list to 4 local lumber yards, Lowes, and Home Depot.  These were whole house packages.  Lowes and Home Depot were $7,000 higher than the highest lumber yard price.  Their response was "bring in their quotes and we'll beat them by 10%.  To me, that is the same as undercutting another contractor.  I went with the second lowest bid because of their reputation and there was only a few dollars difference.  When I was doing more contracting I would ask if I was competitive and who I was competing with.  I find it unprofessional to ask and undercut or trash talk another contractor.  Just my opinion.  Good Luck, Mike