• Real Estate Investor
  • Voorhees, NJ
Votes |
Title searches before buying property at a sheriff's sale

James Brookins
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Voorhees, NJ
Posted Jul 29 2014, 15:01

I'm going to attend my first Sheriff's sale (Philadelphia, PA) next week. If you've purchased a property from a Sheriff's sale, did you do a basic judgement and lien search before bidding on the property?  

If not, did you run into any problems after the purchase?

Either way, did you have any issues getting title insurance within 30 days of the purchase?

User Stats

Votes
Gerald Harris
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 30 2014, 09:38

With any and all properties you are interested in buying you do a Title Search.  As long as you buy title insurance you are good.  These are as/is sales and they should expose all things associated with the property.  If not, the title search will do this

User Stats

Votes
David Krulac
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Replied Jul 30 2014, 09:51

ALWAYS do a title search, they are a necessity and very enlightening.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Rivera
  • Lender
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Jul 30 2014, 10:03

You should not be buying a property at auction without doing a title search. Period. End of story. You need to be looking for liens that will stay with the property after auction, and each state is different. These are debts that the buyer will be responsible for. Taxes? HOA? Is it a 2nd that is foreclosing?

Also, is there a redemption period after the sale? In Oregon, there is a 6 month period for redemption. But we have found a way to sell in 3 months, and in some cases, 1 month.

User Stats

Votes
Sita B.
  • Escrow Officer
  • Yeadon, PA
Votes |
  • Escrow Officer
  • Yeadon, PA
Replied Jul 30 2014, 13:07

I would definitely have a liens and judgement search ran against every property that you are thinking about bidding. Any outstanding liens that are held against the property are yours to deal with after the sale. I think you can get title insurance on the property after the period of redemption has passed. (I think the period is one year from the date of the transfer)

User Stats

Votes
David Mitchell
  • San Luis Obispo, CA
Votes |
  • San Luis Obispo, CA
Replied Jul 30 2014, 16:37

Just today I spoke to two investors that bought properties at auction that was foreclosed on for HOA liens. The conversation started, "The property is worth $150k+ and I bought it for $7k, I got a great deal." Now that they won the bid they have us do the title search and come to find out there was a mortgage in front of the HOA.

Always do a title search prior to bidding.  You don't want to "win" someone else's debt!