• Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Illegal units in 2-4 unit buildings - Chicago

Donald Hruska
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Oct 23 2014, 08:24
Hi all, I'm doing research for my first purchase which I'm hoping to make sometime in the next 12-18 months. I plan to purchase a 2-4 unit property in Chicago and live in one of the units. Very frequently I see in listings "illegal" garden units. What are people's opinions of these? Do you factor in theoretical income from one of these units?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Wood
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 23 2014, 08:26

Donald?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Wood
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 23 2014, 08:28

I didn't know you were on here as well, we should talk sometime! I have basically the same plan you outlined above.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Donald Hruska
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 23 2014, 08:31

Hey Dan, small world, yes we should!

User Stats

Votes
Richard C.
  • Bedford, NH
Votes |
  • Bedford, NH
Replied Oct 23 2014, 08:31

I don't condone illegality.  HOWEVER...

I wouldn't factor the illegal unit in to your financial calculations.  I would live in the illegal unit.  You'd still clearly be an occupant for loan purposes, but wouldn't be putting yourself or your tenant in such a jam if code enforcement came calling.

User Stats

Votes
Omar C.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 23 2014, 08:44

I agree with Richard, don't count the revenue and live in the illegal unit.  Chicago is pro tenant and you don't want to raise any red flags with city hall.  

User Stats

Votes
Donald Hruska
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 23 2014, 08:47

So let's say you're valuing a 3 unit property using the GRM of the area, and you don't factor in the illegal unit - that results in a pretty large difference in value from the asking price. Is that basically no longer a useful way to value the property?

User Stats

Votes
Omar C.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 23 2014, 08:52

If the numbers don't work as a 3 unit I would walk away or renegotiate.  You can always bring in an experienced contractor and find out what would it take to make it a legal unit. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Pliszka
  • Financial Advisor
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Oct 26 2014, 10:09

"If the numbers don't work as a 3 unit I would walk away or renegotiate. You can always bring in an experienced contractor and find out what would it take to make it a legal unit."

This is incorrect. The legality is based on zoning. The process to make something "legal" is quite a bear. For example, you'll need all neighbors within 200 feet of the property to sign off on this. There's really no benefit for them to do so. The process is quite pricey just to establish an application, which will likely be denied anyways.

With that being said, there are thousands of illegal basements/attics in Chicago. I believe it would be rare for you to be called out on this, but to be safe, I'd make the numbers work with just two units. Feel free to PM if you'd like, I have some experience here. Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Oct 26 2014, 16:01

There is a big difference in Chicago between a non-zoned basement unit and a basement unit that would not pass building codes.  I would say a good 30%-40% of our buildings have a non-zoned basement unit.  I have yet to hear of a single person getting in trouble as long as the unit could be zoned for it meaning 2 forms of egress and proper ceiling height

Second City Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Cliff Mccue
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Oct 27 2014, 07:43

I think the least of your concerns should be whether or not you can get away with it.  I think there is a good chance that you can.  As @Brie Schmidt said, there are plenty non-zoned units out there.  Heck, I'm certain I've lived in one at one point.  

The bigger issue from my point of view is the liability around playing a tenant in that unit.  If some thing should happen to that tenant living there, it will put a big damper on your investing career.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied May 22 2015, 17:20

@Omar C. and Richard C. - I'm not in Chicago, but I'm in a similar situation - renting out two units and living in the third (illegal) one. Question is - doesn't this void the property insurance policy? Could OP be denied coverage in case of a claim because the basement unit is illegally occupied?

To clarify, I'm not talking about damage to the basement. Let's say a fire damages the second floor and OP files a claim w the insurance company. Can't they deny the claim because of the illegal unit?