Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
I will be buying my first home in a few months. Advice?

Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Feb 21 2015, 10:45

Is there anything in particular that I should do to prepare for purchased my first personal residence? I have never owned a home before (other than my SFR rentals) so this will be my first purchase that's not through a portfolio lender. Anything different I should be aware of? I will be "house hacking" a multi.

User Stats

Votes
Shaun Weekes
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Votes |
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Replied Feb 21 2015, 11:20

@Ryan Dossey 

Good Morning Ryan,

Here’s a couple of items that you'll need in order to do conventional or Gov financing.

- 1040's for the past 2 years

- W2's for the past 3 years if you haven't done your 2014 taxes. If you have just 2013 and 2014

- Tax bills, Home owners policy (just the declaration page) Mortgage statements for all home owned

- Paystubs for the past 30 days and the last one from 2014. After April 15th you won't need the last one from 2014

- Copy of DL/SSC front and back

- 2 Months of bank statements and any other assets that you have 401K, IRA Etc. Since you have rentals DU (desktop Underwriter) will ask for reserves for each of those investment homes. Typically its 6 months for each home but your Loan Officer will let you know what is needed.

- BK paperwork and Divorce Decree if it's been within 7 years and 10 years respectively.

This is a great start to get you pre-approved and this way you'll know your buying power and you can move forward from there.

Also check out my interview on the Joe Fairless Show, the link is on my profile.

I hope this helps and have a great weekend.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Harkins
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Feb 21 2015, 14:20

@Ryan Dossey .. How many units? You may need to comply with Fair Housing Rules if it is several.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Dossey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Feb 22 2015, 10:17

@Chris Harkins

2-4