Louisville Triplex Analysis: Purchase or Manage

Louisville Triplex Analysis: Purchase or Manage

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 43 votes

I am considering purchasing a triplex adjacent to a property that I own. I have started the discussion with the current owner. They purchased the property as a primary residence in 2008 for $185,000. The current rents are about $1750/month including the unit that they live in. Is there any way to structure a deal that I would be able to have an adequate amount of cash flow? I just don’t see the number working out any way you look at it. They are not motivated sellers, but I do believe that they are not interested in being landlords as they have had some trouble with tenants. I brought up the idea of owner financing and they may be interested. Is there any way to keep current financing if the property is sold? Do most mortgages have a “due on sale” clause?
Alternatively I brought up the idea of them keeping the property for tax advantages and appreciation and allowing me to manage the property at a rate below the standard management fee in our area. I have several units, so am comfortable taking on the addition management. Any advice about going either direction would be appreciated.

0Reply
9 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    13y

    Stay far away from this loser, unless they have standing to short sale it, which sounds unlikely. Ridiculously poor gross rent ratio. They can only recoup their investment selling to another owner-occ buyer.

    Sure you can manage it for them if you're so inclined. It's a puny monthly paycheck, but since you have a building next door there may be little additional effort. The fact that they've had challenging tenants might require a fair amount of work for that $150 mthly paycheck.

    Yes, virtually all mortgages have a DOS clause.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 43 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the input David. I need to set some guidelines for what I will invest in. Do you have any hard and fast rules that you use to quickly analyze a property to see if you are intrested or not? I would prefer to manage their property just for the fact that I would have better neighbors for my residents. I feel like all of the cashflow is rougher neighborhoods and the sweet spot is the transitional neighborhoods that are improving.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2012 · 612 posts · 189 votes
    13y

    Before an investor sits down with the actual profit and loss sheet for the property in question, they will apply the quick 50% formula. This basic rule of thumb states that the expenses to operate a rental property will cost the owner 50% of the gross income. This includes property taxes and insurance, repairs, capital reserve and vacancy loss. If you will have a property manager, tack on another 8 – 10%.

    The 50% rule does not include your mortgage payment. That amount comes out of the net operating income. Once you remove any mortgage payments, the remainder is your before tax profit.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Hey William - I'm a Louisville MF inverstor as well. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can grab lunch and chat about this situation sometime.

    -Michael

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.