Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Jia
  • Diamond Bar, CA
Votes |
Roof leaking after 9 months closed escrow.

Daniel Jia
  • Diamond Bar, CA
Posted Dec 16 2014, 21:22

thanks for any advise!

I purchased rental property on April in Soth CA, now is raining season, the tenant report the roof is leaking, the seller has house warrant insurance, but insurance does not cover roof leaking. I have to pay $850 to get someone to repair roof, 

During inspection, I notice the leaking area, I ask my agen to ask owner had any repair done, but no answer.

Now question is, should preowner response this bill, or my agen is going to response to this bill?

Thanks for any input.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Hipp
  • Investor
  • Appleton, WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Appleton, WI
Replied Dec 16 2014, 21:39

sounds like you are responsible for the roof. You said it yourself that you say the leak before you bought it. You decided to close without getting an answer so you took responsibility. 

User Stats

Votes
Ron Drake
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Dec 21 2014, 18:00

If it is composition shingle you may want to replace the entire roof rather than an $850 repair.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 21 2014, 18:24

Its your house now, its your responsibility unless written otherwise in the big stack of disclosures you signed at closing.

Confirm that the roof is the source of the leak and not a leaking pipe in the attic or floor space. Find out what is directly above the leak where it enters the tenant space. Could be a shower seal, drain seal, water heater/ ac component, toilet that overflowed or kids flooded the bathroom. If it is rain water penetrating through the roof and making its way to the interior space the sheetrock, insulation and framing may need replacing as well. Are any of those items part of the $850 reapair?

Never take the sellers word for anything unless its written in a contract.

Value an agents opinion based on their experience with the specific issue. If the agent has never physically done roof work, never personally purchased roof repairs, or been directly involved with a roof renovation project then they probably shouldn't offer any suggestion other than contacting a roofer. I will guess they have no obligation to pay for roof repairs unless it was in the representation agreement. Maybe it is California.

I have zero experience with pools other than swimming in them. Recently I have showed several rehab houses with pools and I tell the client I have no idea what the cost is to repair or replace anything having to do with a pool.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Dec 21 2014, 18:35

Your house, your problem...  But, good (and relatively inexpensive) lesson for the future...

Btw, you mentioned that you noticed a leak when you were inspecting...does that mean you didn't have a professional inspection done?  If not, that's another mistake -- if you don't have construction/renovation experience, get a professional in to inspect.