• Rental Property Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
Areas with less crime

Griffen Buchheit
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Posted Sep 7 2021, 11:36

Hey BP. I’m looking for a more affordable area to invest with opportunities to find buy and hold single/multi family homes that will at least follow 1% rule if not better. My problem is every area I look at in the US that has enticing prices also has high crime. Also many areas I’m looking at are stagnant in population growth. Areas I’ve looked at are places like Milwaukee and Memphis. The prices are great, but crime rates are high and population growth has slowed over the last 10-20 years. This is probably why they are so affordable! Does anyone have any tips on areas in the US with homes available for less than 150k with at least 3 bed 1 bath and lower crime? I would be moving to the area as I manage my own properties, so I want to feel safe and secure.

Thanks,

Griffen Buchheit

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Trad
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Sep 7 2021, 12:07

Hey @Griffen Buchheit,

Just wanted to check in with a quick update regarding Milwaukee. If you're looking at the stats for the city of Milwaukee, you'll see that the population is fairly stagnant, but that doesn't tell the whole story. The city of Milwaukee is largely buildout without many more places to expand. This has caused many people to flock to the suburbs and surrounding counties. If you zoom out slightly and look at metro-Milwaukee, it's booming and is a great spot to find affordable rentals. That being said, the market can be quite competitive and you're dealing with a good amount of local investors, so if you're going to invest in the metro-Milwaukee market, you need to bring your A-game.