BiggerPockets

Paying back investor on a restaurant

Forum Powered By:

2 posts by 2 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Brian K

Oct 31 '09, 10:25 PM

I currently own a restaurant that is in operation for 6 years. I'm looking to expand, and have an investor in place. If anyone can give me feedback on a payback plan that would be fair to both parties that would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:19

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Oct 31 '09, 11:48 PM

Is this going to be structured as a loan or as an equity investment? Has the investor given you any hint of the return they're expecting?

As a loan, structure it as either a interest only loan with a balloon, or a fully amortized loan. The first gives you the lowest payments, but has that lurking balloon. If the investor is used to buying bank CDs, this is very similar. A fully amortized loan makes your payments higher, but reduces the interest you pay and avoids the balloon.

An equity investor is going to expect a higher return. There are many ways to structure this. One is to give a preferred return on their money. This is same as the interest only payments on a loan. A second is the return of their capital. Yet another is payouts based on their ownership - a profit split. Yet another is in the form of dividends, like a stock dividend.

Edited Jun 26 2010, 10:19

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums