Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Joyce Kim
  • Granada Hills, CA
Votes |
RE: ULA Emergency Rental Assistance Program - should I accept the payment or not?

Joyce Kim
  • Granada Hills, CA
Posted Feb 25 2024, 07:26

Hi all,

I'm a new landlord in North Hollywood, and I'm having an issue with a tenant who has missed 4 months of rent payment and doesn't want to move out.

In late 2023, she applied for the ULA Emergency Rental Assistance Program, and I've just received an email notification from the LA City housing department that the payment is processed and will arrive in the next few days. The email mentions that participation in the ULA ERAP does not create a tenancy with the City of Los Angeles or the Housing Rights Center (HRC).

1) I am actually planning to subdivide my lot and build a few more houses on the divided lot. My question is, if I accept the payment (the assistance payment from the government to a low-income tenant), will my property be recorded by the government as "low-income" housing provider? Will I face any penalties while going through subdivision or building more houses on the same lot?

2) What would be the best way to convince the tenant to move out? Now that the 4 months of missing rent is covered, she is still not paying the rent on time for this month and probably the months after. I would rather use the space as an office for myself, but I also don't want to get into any lawsuits, since LA laws generally favor the tenant. If I give her a move-out notice with 3-4 weeks in advance, would it be sufficient? Can I state that I have to use the space? What could be the best reason for her to move out without causing more headaches?

Please, I need your urgent help. Thank you so much in advance.

Loading replies...