Votes
Juliette V.
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Best way to collect rent out of state

Juliette V.
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Jul 24 2014, 01:57

I'm renting my condo furnished for 3 and a half months to two traveling nurses.  My condo is in San Diego.  I'll be living in Nashville during that time....

I have 2 handymen on call and available to the ladies should anything in the condo need fixing, etc.  So, no official property manager.

So, my question is ....Advice on best and most efficient ways to collect rent given this situation?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Jul 24 2014, 03:10

I like Chase QuickPay. 

User Stats

Votes
Juliette V.
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jul 24 2014, 11:41

Chase quick pay....do you have to have a Chase bank account?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Anne A.
  • Landlord
  • Woodland Hills, CA
Votes |
  • Landlord
  • Woodland Hills, CA
Replied Jul 24 2014, 12:39

@Juliette V. - I don't think you need a Chase account.

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/in...

I used to have a small transcription company and got paid regularly through Chase QuickPay. I would just "accept" the payment and it would go right into my account (I think it took maybe a day to transfer).

User Stats

Votes
Detrick Hannah
  • Beloit, WI
Votes |
  • Beloit, WI
Replied Jul 24 2014, 13:16

The terms and conditions for Chase Quick Pay do state that (1) of the individuals in the transaction has to have a Chase account.....

User Stats

Votes
Jean Bolger
Pro Member
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Aurora, CO
Replied Jul 24 2014, 14:09

There are a bunch of online rent payment options. I've not used any myself, but there have been a number of discussions on BP. Try using the search bar and look for "online payments" or "online rent payment"

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jul 24 2014, 14:58

I have payments to me from Nashville  deposited into Bank Of America.  My account is in CA.   even though I am in Honolulu  most of the year and Honolulu does not have BoA branches I can access my money online. 

I'd ask who they bank with and if they have a billpayer set up or Pop money.

User Stats

Votes
Levi K.
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 24 2014, 19:26

Hello @Juliette Vara,

Here my answer based on my experience:

1) If the tenant has Chase they can send you money using Chase Quick Pay. You don't need to have an account with Chase bank. It will take couple days to setup, validate, and receive the payment. Maybe even calling Chase customer services.

2) You can provide the tenant your checking account and they should go to their bank and ask the bank to deposit money in your bank account.

Hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Jul 24 2014, 19:35

I would recommend not providing checking account information to your tenant. You don't need to for collecting rent, and by doing so you open a very small window for abuse. Chase quickPay is one option. Wells Fargo has something similar... other banks may also. If you have Wells Fargo in your area, consider the WF Business Deposit Card. search that in the search bar for multiple topics...

Or use a reasonably priced ACH provider. You can search that as well (e.g. online rent payments...)