Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 8 posts · 0 votes
Hi, I have a tenant who didn't pay the remainder of his bill (about $1,400) before moving out. I have his phone number, SSN, and an address that he said he was moving to. However he does not answer his phone or call me back. I also went to his new place and knocked on the door, but no one answered even though I know someone was in there. My question is should I use a collection agency, go to small claims court, or do nothing about it? Also if you have any other ideas let me know.
Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
17y
If he's got a good job that he's had for a significant period of time, I'd sue him in small claims court and then garnish his wages (assuming that's legal in your state).
If he's the typical deadbeat tenant and unemployed or moves from job to job, just forget it and move on!