Advertise in major newspaper?

Advertise in major newspaper?

Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes

I have the ad in Craigslist now, and a sign in the yard. I don't know if that's enough? It's only been advertised for one day so far, but the one call I received was from a flake.

The Orlando Sentinel charges $40/week with a four week minimum. Kind of expensive. I don't know if it's worth it, or if there's something else I could/should be doing instead of the newspaper. I definitely want to get it rented by March 1, preferably sooner.

0Reply
26 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Tampa Area, FL · Member since 2008 · 956 posts · 214 votes
    16y

    1 day isnt much. i would certainly continue posting on CL. being that its the beginning of the week, it may explain the 1 call only.

    does the orlando sentinel allow for a weekend only ad? if so, go with that.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Josh Green:
    1 day isnt much. i would certainly continue posting on CL. being that its the beginning of the week, it may explain the 1 call only.

    does the orlando sentinel allow for a weekend only ad? if so, go with that.

    Good idea, I'll find out about that option tomorrow.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    i would say a few points here....
    1. i sell advertising for a living, and so i believe any form of ads helps...craigslist, newspapers, signs in the neighborhood and at intersections...who cares if you spend 160 dollars..i know it's an investment right now, but it's cheaper than having the place vacant for another month
    2. it depends on your clientele..my potential tenants are lower income and do not use internet much...thus my craigslist ad was a wash...newspaper and signs was a must for that area..in nicer areas, people know to use craigslist and you can get away with just that and a sign in the yard
    3. most people only look on weekends bc they are working during the week....i always repost craigslist ads fri. night or very very early sat morning and again sun., that way it's one of the firsts the good early rising tenants see...good luck-bryan

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Reality check is in order now.

    Today is February 2, and you want to have it rented for March 1? Think about it. The renter has to give notice (30 days is typical) to their current landlord; unless they have ALREADY given that notice, they won't want to start paying you until that time passes.

    And if you are accepting a tenant who isn't giving notice, what do you think that tenant will do to you down the road?

    Just advertise it as available starting March 1. If you get somebody who can't move in until April, that isn't too bad IMO - there are lots of folks who have posted here on BP that they have vacancies that last longer than your 1 month lost.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    When I used to rent (apartments), I would always give the 30 days notice first to the place I was living in, and then begin looking for the new place, because apartment vacancies usually weren't available two months in advance. Maybe it doesn't work that way for houses?

    I'm really hoping I can get it rented for March 1, or at least mid March, not just because of money, but because I'm worried about someone breaking in and messing up everything I've worked on there, if it's sitting vacant for that long.

  • Carbondale, IL · Member since 2011 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    I prefer to use shopper and free distribution papers where available for my client. I can stretch their money further and get more leads for the money!

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y

    Not sure people are still looking in the paper for rental ads
    Everyone is searching on the web
    Consider zillow listing for 10 dollars for six months, hot pads.com and the like

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2011 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:

    I'm worried about someone breaking in and messing up everything I've worked on there, if it's sitting vacant for that long.

    You know this area better than i do but i would NOT post a for rent sign on the house. Its telling every copper stealing meth head that the house is vacant. I also wouldn't post the exact address in the advertisement just an intersection or street name.

    Might not be an issue in nicer neighborhoods but.....

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Dan M.:
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:

    I'm worried about someone breaking in and messing up everything I've worked on there, if it's sitting vacant for that long.

    You know this area better than i do but i would NOT post a for rent sign on the house. Its telling every copper stealing meth head that the house is vacant. I also wouldn't post the exact address in the advertisement just an intersection or street name.

    Might not be an issue in nicer neighborhoods but.....

    It's been a while since I posted this thread and I totally agree based on my experience over the past year or so. I don't think the yard sign brings in a lot of people, and I don't care for the quality of people it does bring in sometimes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.