punch lists for contractors

punch lists for contractors

Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes

Hi
I'm a fairly new landlord (almost two years) and am working on getting efficient. One thing I'm putting together is a punch list for the "last man done working" in a unit to make sure it's "rent ready." Being new, there just seems like so many LITTLE things that still need to be done when I THINK I'm all done. (window pane cracked, one door doesn't latch, one receptacle dosn't work, slow bath drain, etc.) -- I'm wondering if anyone has a good "punch list" culled form their experience?

Thanks much!

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y

I do this for every rehab, and for me, it's a personal walk-through of the house that I do myself, not a checklist for someone else (and I'm normally big on checklists and delegating, but not for this super-critical task)...

In fact, this is one of the few things that I don't trust to my contractors, my project managers or even my wife to do...you only get one chance to impress a buyer, an inspector and an appraiser, and if there are punchlist items that aren't fixed, you can easily blow a sale or take a hit on price.

Basically, I step into every room, look at every wall, carpet and ceiling, open and close every door and window, test every appliance, test every electrical fixture (I even use an electrical tester on all the outlets), test every plumbing fixture, test the HVAC, etc.

At first, I would walk around with an inspector checklist...but it's all second nature. Once you get good at it, you can generally do it in about 15 minutes...

Btw, as I go through the house, I put a piece of blue painters tape on every little issue I see so that I can send my handyman back to fix things. I don't let him remove the tape, so I can go back and verify that everything I marked was fixed.

Whenever an inspector finds something that I missed, I add it to my mental checklist for the future...

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    I do this for every rehab, and for me, it's a personal walk-through of the house that I do myself, not a checklist for someone else (and I'm normally big on checklists and delegating, but not for this super-critical task)...

    In fact, this is one of the few things that I don't trust to my contractors, my project managers or even my wife to do...you only get one chance to impress a buyer, an inspector and an appraiser, and if there are punchlist items that aren't fixed, you can easily blow a sale or take a hit on price.

    Basically, I step into every room, look at every wall, carpet and ceiling, open and close every door and window, test every appliance, test every electrical fixture (I even use an electrical tester on all the outlets), test every plumbing fixture, test the HVAC, etc.

    At first, I would walk around with an inspector checklist...but it's all second nature. Once you get good at it, you can generally do it in about 15 minutes...

    Btw, as I go through the house, I put a piece of blue painters tape on every little issue I see so that I can send my handyman back to fix things. I don't let him remove the tape, so I can go back and verify that everything I marked was fixed.

    Whenever an inspector finds something that I missed, I add it to my mental checklist for the future...

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    RENTAL PROPERTY INSPECTION CHECKLIST (Prep sheet)
    ______
    Unit must be completely free of trash and all dust including closets, baseboards and cabinets.
    ______
    All window coverings must be straightened, washed, cleaned and dusted or replaced.
    ______
    All bathrooms and kitchens must be thoroughly caulked and cleaned including behind commode.
    ______
    Fireplaces must be cleaned out and dust free.
    ______
    Patios, balconies and storage closets must be swept and free from debris and trash.
    ______
    All door stoppers must work and any damages from previous problems corrected. Install if missing.
    ______
    Appliances must be thoroughly cleaned, washed, and sanitized, including drip pans and knobs.
    ______
    Light and plug switches must be replaced if cracked or stained.
    ______
    At least 75-watt bulbs (or CFL equivalent) in all fixtures (where fixture rating permits) in working order.
    ______
    Bath lights at 60 watts and all the same style bulb in place; if multiple bulbs, 40 watts can be used.
    ______
    Any painting must be cleaned up thoroughly and consistent.
    ______
    You must vacuum thoroughly when you leave.
    ______
    All locks and doorknobs must be in excellent working order.
    ______
    At least one window per room must work and blinds must be left down and in the open position.
    ______
    All light covers must be cleaned (in the dishwasher, carry soap).
    ______
    Ceiling fan blades must be cleaned and dusted, both sides.
    ______
    The top of the refrigerator and stove must be spotless.
    ______
    No stains should remain in the refrigerator or on porcelain in the bath. Use porcelain white out or bleach.
    ______
    Baseboards must be washed and free of dirt and dust.
    ______
    All drawers must be in good working order.
    ______
    Check all keys and notify landlord if any do not work.
    ______
    Check all appliances and HVAC and then leave at 60 degrees in winter and 80 degrees in summer.
    ______
    Lawn, garden, and hedges must be trimmed, cut, and cleaned thoroughly.
    ______
    Wallpaper must be washed, cleaned, and re-glued or replaced in a professional manner.
    ______
    All bugs must be removed and cleaned from the unit.
    ______
    All vinyl floors need to be mopped, waxed, and cleaned, including underneath cabinets. Do not wax over dirt.
    ______
    "For Lease" sign must be in front of yard, close to sidewalk and sideways to home.
    ______
    Plug in deodorizers are to be used in the make ready.
    ______
    All pilot lights should be on or gas turned off to fixture.
    ______
    Sinks to be cleaned (bleached if necessary), and garbage disposal tested and free from blockage.
    ______
    Storage closets are to be swept, cleaned, checked for working lock and key.
    ______
    All mirrors and windows should be cleaned inside and out.
    ______
    All trash is not to be left, but removed to a dump site.
    ______
    Fill in any nail holes with matching color.
    ______
    Open all sink cabinets, and clean out all areas below.
    ______
    Clean doors and door frames around them, including fingerprints, dust, etc.
    ______
    Set aside touch-up paint with identification of location where it was used.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the STOVE.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the OVEN.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the DISPOSAL.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the WASHER/DRYER.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the AIR CONDITIONER.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the HEATER.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the HOT WATER HEATER.
    ______
    Check the working condition of all SINKS FOR LEAKS.
    ______
    Check the working condition of the GARAGE DOOR OPENERS.
    ______
    Check the working condition of all WINDOW AND DOOR LOCKS.
    ______
    Check the working condition of ______________________________________________________________
    ______
    Check the working condition of ______________________________________________________________
    ______
    Check the working condition of ______________________________________________________________
    ______
    Check the working condition of ______________________________________________________________
    ______
    Check the working condition of ______________________________________________________________
    ______
    Check the working condition of ______________________________________________________________
    ______
    Check the working condition of ______________________________________________________________

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    Run through your move-in check list that you have the tenant fill out. You will never catch everything but you can get close. 50% of the time you will get a call after move-in with something you missed becasue you dont live there and cant find every little thing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
    15y

    Thanks men,
    This is just what I was looking for. I know what to do, but to have it all organized in one place and have a system .... a huge help!

    I've gone from zero to 35 units / 11 buildings in 18 months ... needless to say, I'm definitely in the HYPER learning phase!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.