BiggerPockets

Whos's renting in the rust belt? Why doesnt everyone buy at those prices?

Forum Powered By:

41 posts by 31 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Jonathan H.

Renter from seattle, Washington

Feb 24 '11, 04:25 PM

Hi guys,

I was just speaking to my brother via skype a few minutes ago.
He's in Australia.

I tell him Im planning on doing a road trip to Cleveland to check out some properties.

I explain to him that there are properties there going from 35K and up. He's going to be a RE agent in OZ and he just freaked out when I told him. He just could not believe how low the prices were.

So then he asks me: "Why do you want to buy there? Who's gonna rent from you if everyone can buy?"

My only answer was that I assumed people in the area had bad credit?
Then I realized how bad that generalization was. :oops:

But can someone explain this to me? I guess he had a valid point. I guess vacancies are higher in those areas but since you can purchase at such a low price, its still worth it.
Who is renting these properties?

thanks

Mike P.

Real Estate Investor from California

Feb 24 '11, 04:35 PM
1 vote

I wonder as well. I invest only in California. But my thought process has been who is actually going to pay you rent if they can't afford to buy at those prices.

Interested to see the responses from BP members who in invest there.

Jason Miller

Real Estate Investor from Lake Orion, Michigan

Feb 24 '11, 06:07 PM
3 votes

A friend of mine invests in the metro area of Detroit and his philosophy is: A lot of families are getting foreclosed on, they need a place to live and a lot of them do not want to live in an apartment so they rent houses!

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Feb 24 '11, 08:14 PM
12 votes

Many people seem to be programmed to live paycheck to paycheck, through bad times and good. Add to that the growing bias against home ownership, even among some who can afford it. And finally, the increased difficulty of getting a mortgage. Home ownership rates are declinIng even in very affordable markets.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Chris Calabrese

Rehabber from Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Feb 24 '11, 09:49 PM
7 votes

A lot of people would rather destroy someone else's home rather than their own. :)

Jeffrey K.

Real Estate Investor from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Feb 24 '11, 10:05 PM

There are not a lot of people with jobs that can afford to rent or buy. Ohio has been hit hard since globalizaton and the industrialization of other countries.

Steve Sparks

Real Estate Investor from cincinnati, Ohio

Feb 24 '11, 10:21 PM
6 votes

Shhhh ;) The problem is they can't get in financed and don't have the cash. 15 to 20K here gets you a $750 rental in a non war zone. Tenants are plentiful as they would rather have a house than an apartment.. or they have lost a house or walked away from a similar house that they owed 100k on and were paying more than the rent on an upside down mortgage loan.

Mike Neyman

Real Estate Investor from Cleveland, Ohio

Feb 24 '11, 10:27 PM
10 votes

I flip properties and rent in this area so I know both sides of the market. The rental market is very strong, but the the sales side of it is not for a few reasons:

1. Most lenders will not want to touch loans for such small amounts.
2. People who would be willing to buy in low priced areas typically do not have a high enough credit score, even though their income is sufficient.
3. A house for 35k will typically have city violations which require funds to be put in escrow until those violations are fixed. This takes cash, which most buyers in this market segment do not have.
4. Some people are still afraid to buy despite favorable prices/interest.
5. Many current renters would want to buy, but cannot because they had recent foreclosures or bankruptcies.

In general people in this area can buy the house they currently rent and save $100 to $200 per month in payments, but the reasons listed above prevent them from doing so.

I would be comfortable renting in this area, but be careful with your flips. You have to make sure the numbers are good and include a contingency for longer hold times.

Mike P.

Feb 25 '11, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Steve Sparks:
Shhhh ;) The problem is they can't get in financed and don't have the cash. 15 to 20K here gets you a $750 rental in a non war zone. Tenants are plentiful as they would rather have a house than an apartment.. or they have lost a house or walked away from a similar house that they owed 100k on and were paying more than the rent on an upside down mortgage loan.

So for 100k I can get $3750 of cash flow? Almost sounds to good to be true.

Jon Holdman Moderator

SFR Investor from Wheat Ridge, Colorado

Feb 25 '11, 10:51 AM
2 votes

It is too good to be true. That's gross rent, not cash flow. Even if you pay cash, you have all the usual expenses. $1875 would be closer to your correct cash flow if you paid cash. Nevertheless, that's an 18% return.

Jon Holdman, Flying Phoenix LLC

Jonathan H.

Renter from seattle, Washington

Feb 25 '11, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by InfusionRealty:

He means $750 GROSS not cashflow.
That would be so sweet.

Jarred E.

Real Estate Investor from Boca Raton , Florida

Feb 25 '11, 11:16 AM

Doin' it all day in Atlanta. I had 12.5% net equity caps in 2008. Now, in 2011, prices are so low, and granted, rental rates have come down as well due to competition in the rental market. But even with the rental rates dropping, I have 18% net caps all day every day in non war zones. I live in south florida and cant do that in my back yard!

B H.

Feb 25 '11, 03:02 PM

I dont mean to hijack your thread OP.
But Arbitrage8 I would be interested to know where in Atlanta you are getting those type of rates and what property price range?

DAVID GAGE

Handyman from THUMB, Michigan

Feb 25 '11, 10:18 PM

SHHH! is right. I too am living proof that it really is a great time to be a landlord in the rust belt. I bought 3 houses last year all for under 20k and all are rented for 600 to 650 a month. I post the house and get a dozen calls a day. There are a lot of good people that are looking for houses to rent right now. Most are people that walked away from an upside down mortgage. I like these people because they take pride in your property. They know what its like to own a house. My houses are in a rural town 80 miles from Detroit so no war zones here. The economy is coming back here but if gas prices get up around $5 a gallon for any length of time you will see a full blown depression here.IMO

William Ware

Real Estate Investor from Holly, Michigan

Feb 26 '11, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by DAVID GAGE:

SHHH! is right. I too am living proof that it really is a great time to be a landlord in the rust belt. I bought 3 houses last year all for under 20k and all are rented for 600 to 650 a month. I post the house and get a dozen calls a day. There are a lot of good people that are looking for houses to rent right now. Most are people that walked away from an upside down mortgage. I like these people because they take pride in your property. They know what its like to own a house. My houses are in a rural town 80 miles from Detroit so no war zones here. The economy is coming back here but if gas prices get up around $5 a gallon for any length of time you will see a full blown depression here.IMO

The secret of the rust belt is slowly leaking out. My examples:
Metro Detroit
Purchased 3 houses 3/1 during 2010
Avg purchase price 25k
Avg rehab cost 7k
Avg Rent $825
Rented all 3 with a yard sign and before the rehab was finished..non sec 8.. 2 of the 3 tenants had a foreclosure
You can do the math :cool:

No_company_avatar_mediumWilliam Ware, Starliner Properties
Starliner Properties

Jon Klaus Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Feb 26 '11, 02:42 AM

As usua,l markets tend to over react. It's like buying Citibank for $1.25 a share in 2009 or American Airlines for the same price after 9/11.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Steve Sparks

Real Estate Investor from cincinnati, Ohio

Mar 02 '11, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by InfusionRealty:

I would sell 3 of my properties for 100K that are More like $2,600 net.. not trying to sell them.. Just sayin. And if you buy them distressed here this cash flow was created for 60K.

Ben Kevan

Mar 03 '11, 01:01 AM

I just closed on my first property in the rust belt. It may not be the best of numbers, but it was my first property.

I'm looking for a second, and you gotta keep things quiet.. :o).. SHHHHHHHHH..

DAVID GAGE

Handyman from THUMB, Michigan

Mar 03 '11, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Ben Kevan:
I just closed on my first property in the rust belt. It may not be the best of numbers, but it was my first property.

I'm looking for a second, and you gotta keep things quiet.. :o).. SHHHHHHHHH..

WOW!!! That takes balls buying your first property 2500 miles away. I hope it works out for you. I myself want to buy some SFH in Georgia but can't seem to bite the bullet. I seem to be a bit of a control freak. Thats a habit I will eventually have to break if I want my business to grow :mrgreen:

John Buehrer

Real Estate Investor from Litchfield, Ohio

Mar 03 '11, 11:14 AM

I've been buying in the rust belt (NE Ohio) market the past four years. Won't go to Cleveland though... taxes are way to high. A county auditor being thrown in jail as a result... that and mismanagement of funds.

Honestly, I can't believe the number of great deals that are out here. William Ware's example is very common nowadays. The problem is finding the funds to carry a note for 1 to 2 year payback. As previously mentioned most banks don't loan at such a small amount and Hard Money only loans for 6 months.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums