Newbie investor, considering FL

Newbie investor, considering FL

Member since 2011 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello group.

My faith in the internet proves there is no topic that there isn't a forum for!!

I have been considering investing in a rental property in central FL because houses down there are so cheap. I have been looking at single family homes (3/2, 4/2) in the Kissimmee area in the $50-$80k range (there are dozens and dozens) and looking at bank owned. I will pay cash for the property.

I did go down there and look at a couple 2 weeks ago, and drove through a lot of neighborhoods, most of what I saw, while blue collar looking, was pretty well kept up and neat. Taxes are all over the place, from $70-$250/mo. Originally I was not really considering renting it long term, I was think of maybe just sitting on it, eating the ownership costs and maybe using it occasionally for getaways, or letting friends use it.

The realtor I was working with told me there is high demand for rental property and I could probably do well if my ownership/mgmt costs were low. So I am think now about a long term rental property that I will likely never spend a night in myself.

I live in MA, and would have to pay a management co to take care of everything. I spoke with one on the phone yesterday who gave me some details, and warned me of the "blue collar" housing market in this price range, damage, etc. But also elaborated on his screen process etc. He quoted me $150/mo with a $1000 initial fee to screen and secure a tenant. I have no idea where that fits in the general range of these types of services.

The figures in my head are rents in the $550-$900/mo range, and ownership costs (mgmt, insurance, taxes) in the $300-$500/mo range. Startup costs are the wild card.

Anyway, I'll stop there, lest I lose you. I guess my first question is if you had $50k-$70k to invest in RE for rental income where would you look? SF house or condo? (aware that some HOA/Condo fees are insane and may go out of control). $300- $400/mo clear with at least a property value that holds if not increases a bit is appealing and seems possible.

I am not dead set on FL, or even central FL, but there seems to be an abundance of homes there and a good rental market.

Comments? Suggestions of other sites/threads to go read? I realize that is a WIDE OPEN question, but was hoping to gain some insight from some other landlords here.

Thanks in advance for any help....

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 263 posts · 147 votes
15y

I would stay away from Condo's - SFH have dropped so far in price that the differential does not compensate for the mgmt fees.
TTFN,
Greg

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Riverview, FL · Member since 2011 · 100 posts · 33 votes
    15y

    John - Welcome to BP. Like yourself, we are new to the FL RE market as well. Best to start by deciding what you want from your deal, (buy/fix/flip - rent, personal use,etc).

    Pick a structure type, (SFH, town, condo - watch out for that one), and finally, pick a zip code as your target area. FL is saturated with properties available. There are also as many investors/mentors.

    HOA/condo fees/CDD charges all eat away your profits - avoid them if you can. Management costs are typically 10% of rent and the better ones, (not necessarily the biggest), will charge a nominal 1/2 month rent to place a tenant. If you are out of state, this will be your anchor - choose wisely.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Clermont, surrounding areas, FL · Member since 2011 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    I think for the most part, a rental anywhere in the central Florida market would be wise. I would suggest that in the Kissimmee/ Poinciana area to have your agent pull a report of what has rented out recently and for what prices. Overall, I know the rental market in my area is very good, especially if the homes are priced right. Here on average people will rent for 2-3 years+ while they are trying to get used to the area or to improve their credit.

    Just an idea, why not try the Davenport, Clermont area, still close enough to Disney, but you might be able to pick up a rental that is zoned short term rental, which opens more options for you.

    Good luck on your home search! I think that any way you look at it, you are making a good decision to invest in a home here, especially since you can't build them for the price that they are selling them for in the Central Florida area.

  • FL · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    John- I have lived in Central Florida for the past 30 years, 29 of those in St. Cloud (East of Kissimee). There is a strong rental market in St. Cloud, probably due to the fact that there are no market rate apartments in St. Cloud. There are apartment complexes but they all allow for subsidized tenants. I tried to develop a market rate complex a few years ago but the impact fees were so high that the numbers didn't make sense. The homes that are selling in the 50K-80K price range in St. Cloud will rent out for $700-$900 per month. Let me know if you have any other questions.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    A few things to consider:
    1. For 6 months of the year you will be watching for hurricanes to see if will make landfall in your area.
    2. Due to all the damages - insurance rates have gone sky high.
    3. The bugs grow bigger in FL.
    However, each person has to decide where they want to invest - just go in with your eyes wide open.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    Insurance for the cheaper houses should be about $500-$700/year if you get a house with a pitched roof and built within the last 35 years (depending on insurance carrier). If the house is more than 35/40 years old you may have to get a 4 point inspection to get insurance. I would not let the hurricane fears deter you if you can get good deals here.

    I don't know about Osceola County, but there are a lot of vacancies here in Orange Co. and a lot of dubious applicants, in my one year experience of doing this. Screen very carefully.

    Also, in central Florida there is a resort tax for any rental lease less than 7 months, I believe. I'm sure there are LLs here who still do month to month on a SFH and get away with it but it's not something I would want to get caught doing.

  • Member since 2011 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Thanks for the insights, much of this I have learned already. Condos/townhouses are enticing, but I know the HOA/fees situation is never good and can inflate on you also. I will expand my range a bit, look at St Cloud, Devenport, Clermont.

    Can any one recommend a good full service property manager in the area? Prep, market, screen, rent, maintain??\

    Thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by John Henry:

    The realtor I was working with told me there is high demand for rental property and I could probably do well if my ownership/mgmt costs were low. So I am think now about a long term rental property that I will likely never spend a night in myself.

    Ask your Realtor how many rental properties he owns himself. If none - don't take his advise, he is there to make a commission and would tell you anything to make the transaction.
    Originally posted by John Henry:
    I live in MA, and would have to pay a management co to take care of everything. I spoke with one on the phone yesterday who gave me some details, and warned me of the "blue collar" housing market in this price range, damage, etc. But also elaborated on his screen process etc. He quoted me $150/mo with a $1000 initial fee to screen and secure a tenant. I have no idea where that fits in the general range of these types of services. The figures in my head are rents in the $550-$900/mo range, and ownership costs (mgmt, insurance, taxes) in the $300-$500/mo range.

    Finding a tenant shouldn't cost you more than 1 month of rent. PM are charging percent of collected rent. Not a fixed fee. If you rent the property for $700 (mid-point of your range), PM should be charging no more than $70. Consider attending REIAs or Landlord Associations for PM referral.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 263 posts · 147 votes
    15y

    I would stay away from Condo's - SFH have dropped so far in price that the differential does not compensate for the mgmt fees.
    TTFN,
    Greg

  • FL · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    John- If you look at St. Cloud, let me know if you have questions about any particular subdivision and I can give you my opinion.

  • Member since 2011 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    I'm looking at a property in Canoe Creek Estates in St. Cloud. It has a $322/yr HOA and a community pool. Google street view shows a pretty well maintained neighborhood. Didn't find much Googling for this HOA.

    Does anyone know how to get in touch with the HOA and see just what the deeded restrictions are? I am wary of HOAs. I do see homes listed for rent in this neighborhood, so I assume long term rentals are allowed.

    ?????

    JH

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    Yeah stay away from condos. The HOA's down here suck.

    Property management is usually 1/2 first months rent and 8-10%. Make sure you check references though.

    Central Florida has lower insurance than coastal areas.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by John Henry:
    I'm looking at a property in Canoe Creek Estates in St. Cloud. It has a $322/yr HOA and a community pool.

    Does anyone know how to get in touch with the HOA and see just what the deeded restrictions are? I am wary of HOAs. JH

    This is the link to the property management company website with the associations contact info.
    http://www.myhoasolution.com/Canoe%20Creek%20Estates/default.htm

  • Member since 2011 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jeff B.:
    Originally posted by John Henry:
    I'm looking at a property in Canoe Creek Estates in St. Cloud. It has a $322/yr HOA and a community pool.

    Does anyone know how to get in touch with the HOA and see just what the deeded restrictions are? I am wary of HOAs. JH

    This is the link to the property management company website with the associations contact info.
    http://www.myhoasolution.com/Canoe%20Creek%20Estates/default.htm

    Thanks, I found that after I posted, have all the HOA docs and am reviewing them now....

  • Member since 2011 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Ok, I'm "in"! Bank accepted my offer, and closing is scheduled.

    Can anyone give me a quick summary of homeowners insurance in FL? It seems like the major underwriters (State Farm, Liberty Mutual, etc.) are not writing HO policies in FL (or at least not quoting online). Is there a list of FL insurers anywhere? Anything particular about insurance on a rented SF home? I assume I would not be paying for "contents" coverage like I do my primary residence.

    Any insight appreciated...

    JH

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by John Henry:
    Ok, I'm "in"! Bank accepted my offer, and closing is scheduled.

    Can anyone give me a quick summary of homeowners insurance in FL? It seems like the major underwriters (State Farm, Liberty Mutual, etc.) are not writing HO policies in FL (or at least not quoting online). Is there a list of FL insurers anywhere? Anything particular about insurance on a rented SF home? I assume I would not be paying for "contents" coverage like I do my primary residence.

    Any insight appreciated...

    JH

    What are you closing on - a SFH or a condo?
    For insurance policy - look for an insurance broker in the are and call them. Google it. Or yellowbook it.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by John Henry:
    Ok, I'm "in"! Bank accepted my offer, and closing is scheduled.

    Can anyone give me a quick summary of homeowners insurance in FL? It seems like the major underwriters (State Farm, Liberty Mutual, etc.) are not writing HO policies in FL (or at least not quoting online). Is there a list of FL insurers anywhere? Anything particular about insurance on a rented SF home? I assume I would not be paying for "contents" coverage like I do my primary residence.

    Any insight appreciated...

    JH

    You need to call an agent, but Capitol Preferred, Florida Family, Southern Fidelity, Tower Hill are some of the ones that come to mind. They'll probably ask you for a photo of the front & back of house and if there are things they don't like they'll make you get a TAPCO policy while it's being repaired, then you get a dwelling/fire policy later with a normal insurance carrier.

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2009 · 45 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    If you have hurricane mitigation you can reduce your insurance costs, but they are really high. Mine is about $6500/year for an ordinary 3/2 house without hurricane mitigation, so check if the property has approved shutters and the appropriate roofing design (newer homes are more likely to have this).

    Also HOA's in Florida are particularly powerful, and can lien you for allsorts of minor things.

    If you own the home outright with no mortgage then you will have a chance at a positive cashflow, but overheads are quite big.

    Lesley

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    15y

    Regarding a Hurricane Mitigation survey, It costs me about $250 for one and the guy looks at things like roof straps, roof design and construction, exterior doors, windows, and a few other things. I have a 2003 built home and pay $1400 after having the mitigation survey which was about a $500 savings a year than before the survey.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.