Losing money . . . wait to sell?

Losing money . . . wait to sell?

Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 0 votes

Not sure if this is the right spot for this. Here is my question, I have 3 rentals one is running in the red consistently. You guessed it, its in Arizona! I want to sell it but think I should wait till spring.
However, I really think now is a good time to p/u good deals in California were I live. But could be risky with my "red" rental. :violin:
I should wait right?

0Reply
14 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    You may want to talk with a tax specialist and/or your CPA to see what the house will cost/gain you when you try to sell. A real estate agent or appraiser can also give you an idea of the value of the home so you can calculate sales costs.

    Depending on the capital gain, it may be worth it to wait.

  • Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Dee thanks for the advice!

  • Investor · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2008 · 24 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Unless you bought for appreciation, I would sell it immediately. Your first loss is your best loss. I don't mean to stick my nose in here, but you are the one losing money every month. That's not going to change.

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Cut your losses. Start advertising your property NOW! Remember it will take several months to put a deal together anyway.

  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 517 posts · 17 votes
    19y

    If the rental is in the red and has no hope of making money then find a nice retail home buyer and sell the house off to them.

  • Member since 2008 · 28 posts · 4 votes
    19y

    Is it in the red because it is out of your state, and the tenants feel they can play you for a sucker?

  • Member since 2008 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    I agree with the "cut your losses" idea. I made the mistake of not doing so with one property and it cost me lots.

    Justin

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.