Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
How many smoke detectors?

Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Dec 9 2012, 09:11

I've been putting one smoke detector in the hallway and one in the kitchen in my rentals. I know this varies by locality, but the electrician told me the code also requires one per bedroom. This seems like overkill to me. What do other people here do?

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Dec 9 2012, 09:40

Don't put them in the kitchen! The least thing will set them off. I believe code is indeed one per bedroom plus one per floor. That's what I've been required to do by inspectors.

User Stats

Votes
Rob K.
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Replied Dec 9 2012, 10:00

In my state, you're required to have one in each bedroom and one in the hall outside the bedroom. You also need one on each floor. Putting one in the kitchen is a HUGE mistake. It will go off all the time.

I own a house that has four bedrooms. Three of the bedrooms are in the back and one is in the front. I had to put one in each bedroom, one in the hall by the three back bedrooms, and one outside the front bedroom. There also had to be one in the basement. Seven smoke detectors in small one story house.

The one per bedroom is overkill IMO. The reason for it is that so many tenants neglect to change the batteries that they want more detectors instead of less. In my own home, I have one in the basement, one on the main floor, and one in the hall upstairs. That's enough. I don't need one in each bedroom. I have a carbon monoxide detector in the master bedroom too. Some people put them near the furnace, but that's a mistake.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Dec 9 2012, 10:43

The ones that I have put in the kitchens in the past have been the ion ones (or whichever is considered better for kitchens). I'll have to look at the code and find out what I'm supposed to do in my area.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Cline
  • Contractor
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied Dec 9 2012, 10:49

In CA, where I live it's one in each bedroom and one in each hallway. In addition you need a CO detector in each hall way. So if it is a split wing house, that would be two hallways on one floor, even if the hallway is just a small entry to a bedroom.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Veal
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Dec 9 2012, 11:59

This is a topic that I can hopefully shed some light on. I am a Lieutenant for a local large fire department in Florida and I can tell you that although it may seem like a complete overkill...it is best to have a detector in each bedroom, in the hallways, and yes..even one in the kitchen. If you get the right kind, they will not go off all of the time for no reason. It all boils down to safety. For your own home..would you rather be bothered by more smoke detectors, or bothered by your family perishing in a fire. I have unfortunately seen families perish in fires that they could have survived if they had functioning smoke detectors. You can also get detectors now that have a 10 year battery. I will be happy to share with you what the National Fire Protection Agency which is the Federal Governing body when it comes to fire standards says about the number of smoke detectors that are "ideal". If anyone is interested, email me and I will share with you.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Hank
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Virginia
Replied Dec 9 2012, 12:16

Where i'm at...
1 in each bed room.
1 out side each bed room. The detector must be with in 8 foot of the door. You can cover more than one out side bed room with with this if it's with in 8 feet of more than one bedroom door.
One on each floor of the house.
In the county there is something about a closed laundry room, but I don't know 100% how that one works.

A C02 detector on each floor. If there is gas you might need more, but i'm not 100% on how that works.

All smokes need to be on 1 interconnected circuit and depending on the inspector nothing else should be on the circuit. The electrician that is on my staff always puts the hall way light with the smokes. I have had to stand up to inspectors about this and ask them if nothing else on on the circuit then how do you know they are still getting power?

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Veal
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Dec 9 2012, 13:01

Bob- sounds like you have things pretty well covered. I always suggest that people get smoke detectors that do not rely on a hardwired electrical source. Granted all smoke detectors have a battery backup. However, have the detectors hard wired that are required by local codes, but then supplement with battery powered detectors. The detectors that have a 10 year battery are great...set it and forget it. Here in Florida, the majority of our house fires are caused by lightning strikes which cause fires in the attic that go un-noticed until it is too late. I personally have smoke detectors in my attic. Just a thought...

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
Votes |

I put one in the hallway outside each bedroom(s). Then, one in the main living area and one near the laundry area. I think I have 3, maybe more.

I've lived in rentals where there wasn't even one fire detector.

I, too, think it's a good idea to at least have one by all the bedrooms. Two of my bedrooms are next to one small hall- I put the detector in the hall between each rooms. I don't want to buy one for inside each room too. Maybe I should buy them, but what I have seems ok. A few of my detectors are the $5 ones.

I don't have a carbon monoxide detector, though.

Can you "require" tenants to replace batteries?

Do you go in every 6 months to replace smoke detector batteries for tenants?

User Stats

Votes
Bob Hank
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Virginia
Replied Dec 9 2012, 15:17

We do a property inspection every 12 months. At that time they get replaced. I hate seeing that box full of good 9 volt batteries that goes to recycle when it fills up.

In what states are you required to replace the batteries in a smoke detector more often than yearly? Could you please post a link to the city or state code for it. I have done a few searches for this but can not find the code for it in other states.

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Meyers
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Dec 9 2012, 21:19

The state requires 1 working smoke detector for the rental. Different cities and counties have more strict requirements. I put one in each bedroom and one on each level. I use the battery operated ones.

User Stats

Votes
Scott W.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • chicago, IL
Replied Dec 10 2012, 08:41

my house is hard wired; 1 in basement; 1 in upstairs hall; 1 in kitchen. The wife goes nuts when something burns.

I have a rental where code requires hard wired in each bedroom & a combo hardwired fire/CO2 in the hall.

I agree with this - too many tenants just take the batteries out. For me, it'd be too hard to see tenants perish. I'm glad to spend the extra $.