Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Susan P.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smithfield, VA
Votes |
Taking the plunge in Hampton Roads Virginia..

Susan P.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smithfield, VA
Posted Sep 20 2014, 09:25

Hi all, first time poster and new to BP.  Have been looking around a little at the site and looks like a great community.  I've been in a totally different career with an eye and interest in real estate for a long time.  I'm looking at all the options that are possible and need to settle in on business plan for the future.  Every time I feel strong and excited...YES I can do this, along comes this little voice about the what ifs and horror stories. 

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Sep 20 2014, 09:33

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

We got started at 22 and 23 with a VA loan in Virginia beach as a personal property less than 3 years later we have 5 properties! The key we have found is baby steps! This is an amazing site that we found way after our journey. We started out by taking it one step at a time. We have learned a lot and have really evolved. We are buy and hold landlords the key has been evolution. We have evolved and progressed as we learned. Every deal has been better than the previous.

Definitely check out the podcasts, forums and blogs. Also know that the only thing everyone agrees on is that they invest in real estate. So another great resource is everyone's personal blog/website. My blog is about long distance self landlordig, investing in a transient world (active duty military), class a properties, and turning personal residences into rentals!

Look forward to seeing you around!

User Stats

Votes
Susan P.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smithfield, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smithfield, VA
Replied Sep 20 2014, 09:39

Thanks for the welcome Elizabeth C.  and congratulations on your success!  I've been looking around....unbelievable resource!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Doud
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Chesapeake, VA
Replied Sep 21 2014, 04:04

@Susan P.  welcome to the site, glad to see another local. There is a ton of great information on here. Don't be shy and get involved in the forums and posts.  What type of investing are you looking to get into. We have always been buy and hold and now looking to getting into fix and flip if the property and price is right.  Good luck and if you need anything let me know.  

User Stats

Votes
Susan P.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smithfield, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smithfield, VA
Replied Sep 21 2014, 09:05

Hi Eric..thank you for the words of encouragement.  I'm looking between the options of fix & flip and buy rent also. Real Estate investing has many options.

User Stats

Votes
Nilesh Makhija
  • Investor
  • Chantilly, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chantilly, VA
Replied Sep 21 2014, 12:33

@Elizabeth Colegrove - What strategies do you use to acquire properties?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Sep 22 2014, 04:41

Hey @Susan P. welcome to the site! Definitely start jumping into the community here! Be sure to read through The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing to help you get started.

Also -be sure to setup some keyword alerts - especially for "Smithfield" so you can jump into local conversations.

See you around the forums!

User Stats

Votes
Raphael F.
  • Military Service Member
  • Toano, VA
Votes |
  • Toano, VA
Replied Sep 7 2015, 08:25
Elizabeth Colegrove Great to see Military families actually taking advantage as so many don't. I have a question regarding your strategy, as I plan to follow myself. I current bought my first property in the Hampton roads. Williamsburg area (Toano) VA loan, did you use your second entitlement (VA loan)to pursue your second property? Which is a strategy Iam looking at once I PCS. Any input would be appreciated. Active Army by the way :)

User Stats

Votes
Raphael F.
  • Toano, VA
Votes |
  • Toano, VA
Replied Sep 7 2015, 11:51
Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

We got started at 22 and 23 with a VA loan in Virginia beach as a personal property less than 3 years later we have 5 properties! The key we have found is baby steps! This is an amazing site that we found way after our journey. We started out by taking it one step at a time. We have learned a lot and have really evolved. We are buy and hold landlords the key has been evolution. We have evolved and progressed as we learned. Every deal has been better than the previous.

Definitely check out the podcasts, forums and blogs. Also know that the only thing everyone agrees on is that they invest in real estate. So another great resource is everyone's personal blog/website. My blog is about long distance self landlordig, investing in a transient world (active duty military), class a properties, and turning personal residences into rentals!

Look forward to seeing you around!

Originally posted by @Raphael F.:
Elizabeth Colegrove Great to see Military families actually taking advantage as so many don't. I have a question regarding your strategy, as I plan to follow myself. I current bought my first property in the Hampton roads. Williamsburg area (Toano) VA loan, did you use your second entitlement (VA loan)to pursue your second property? Which is a strategy I am looking at once I PCS. Any input would be appreciated.

Active Army by the way :)

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Sep 7 2015, 12:03

@Raphael F.

Yes for our 4th house since it was our second personal we used the rest of our VA loan. I wrote an VA guide book on all the different assets it offers.

User Stats

Votes
Raphael F.
  • Toano, VA
Votes |
  • Toano, VA
Replied Sep 7 2015, 16:17
Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

@Raphael F.

Yes for our 4th house since it was our second personal we used the rest of our VA loan. I wrote an VA guide book on all the different assets it offers.

Thank you.  I'll check it out.