Votes |
New Member from Jersey City, New Jersey

Winnie Mullins
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Posted Mar 28 2015, 07:37

Hello All

My name is Winnie Mullins, and have a little real estate experience. I'm really excited to be here and looking toward a great future in real estate.   2 two family homes fell in my lap back in 2004 and things were going relatively well until the collapse.  One property was in Newark, the other in East Orange, and we did not have the most desirable tenants in most desirable areas, so things went down hill.  We (my husband and I) held on to those properties way too long. We short sold one in 2012, the other in 2013, so now, I can jump back in (you know that 2 year period).

Needless to say, experience was the best teacher there, and now that that experience is under my belt, I'm ready to move forward.

So, here I am currently with a one family under contract, want to fix and flip. In addition to that house, I'm also trying to push my siblings with my Mom's house to get that rented at least (she passed in June 2012), but it needs renovation. 

Currently a mutual fund paralegal by trade and like what I do, but the prospect of getting knee deep into real estate investing is just so exciting!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Huber
Pro Member
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Mar 28 2015, 10:26

@Winnie Mullins

Welcome to the community! BP has a tremendous amount of information to help you, but it is only available if you seek it out. Be sure to be as active and engaging as possible. Read blogs, post questions, and the podcasts are gold! The best free education you can get.

User Stats

Votes
Favia Vitan
  • Caloocan, NCR
Votes |
  • Caloocan, NCR
Replied Mar 28 2015, 11:54

Welcome to BiggerPockets, Winnie!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrea Coar
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 28 2015, 15:33

Hi Winnie! Welcome to BP! I have to warn you. You will soon be OBSESSED with viewing topic discussions and catch yourself listening to podcast while doing some household chores! You can get lost in everything BP has to offer. But thats a good thing! BP has changed my life! You stumbled upon the greatest of greats and the best part is... you will never feel alone again. You can post any question or concern on here and get genuine advice. Let's definitely stay connected! I'm a NJ/NYC Real Estate Agent living in Bayonne.  I hope to attend a meet-up very soon and hopefully I'll see you there! Best of luck in all of your future endeavours! P.S. Please please do a double check on all of your contractors! I've heard some really bad stories.  

User Stats

Votes
Denise Stanford
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northern, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northern, NJ
Replied Apr 2 2015, 20:59

Hi Winnie,

Welcome to BP. The property calculators are good tools to use when analyzing the properties you're considering. Glad to see another New Jersey investor apart of the community. Hope to see you at a local REIA event.

User Stats

Votes
Che Chiu Wong
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied May 16 2015, 17:15

@Winnie Mullins Welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Elkins
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Jul 3 2015, 05:36

Welcome to the community. 

"Measure twice, cut once"

By that I mean, do you due diligence.  There is no substitute for doing you own homework.  No matter what representations others provide, ask for original documents, tax return schedules, inspect yourself.  You don't need to over analyze, but certainly, don't under analyze.  You'll soon sort it out; just keep practicing by making offers.

If you need any assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Jul 3 2015, 05:45

Welcome to BP @Winnie Mullins Find and network with local investors using find feature! http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Also, be sure to set up “keyword alerts” to notify the topics that interest you. 

Wishing you the best!

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Dobbs
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bowie, MD
Replied Jul 3 2015, 09:21

Hi Ms. Mullins,

Congratulations on making an excellent decision to return to real estate. That is great that even though you endured some stumbles, and noticed some mistakes, you evaluated where errors were made, and are taking great strides in the right direction - to be profitable in real estate! Welcome and enjoy the great knowledge that BP offers.

Stephanie

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 4 2015, 11:44

Welcome!

User Stats

Votes
Jean Clotaire
  • Investor
  • NJ / PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • NJ / PA
Replied Jul 4 2015, 11:51
Winnie Mullins Welcome to BP! Wish you all the best on your next fix and flip!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Lee
  • Investor-Realtor
  • Union, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor-Realtor
  • Union, NJ
Replied Jul 4 2015, 15:04

Welcome back to the real estate investing mentality. 

Good luck with your house under contract. How did you come across this flip in NJ? (distressed property or just a good deal?)

I agree with you in renting out your mom's house. You will have to explain to them benefits and risks involved. Make sure you have everything out in the open so there are no surprises which may ruin relationships.

User Stats

Votes
Evaristo Urbaez
Pro Member
  • Waterbury, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Waterbury, CT
Replied Jul 4 2015, 15:35

Welcome Winnie to the BP community! I was born and still have family not too far from your neck of the woods(Union City amd Teaneck). I definitely concur with Andrea on becoming obsessed with all that BP has to offer. Stay active and engaged with BP and the sky is the limit for you and your business. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Gerold Koch
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Dec 12 2016, 06:32

Hi Winnie, I hope you had a great experience with the fix and flip. How did it go? I'm based in JC and would love to connect sometime.