• Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Hi from a NY state investor!

Michael Gansberg
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Posted Aug 26 2015, 14:17

Hi everyone, I'm an investor primarily focused on the Capital District, with a concentration in Troy, NY. But I go as far west as Buffalo, as far south as Hudson, NY, and as far north as Mechanicville, NY.

My primary business line is acquiring distressed two to ten unit properties(though I've picked up a few single family homes and also acquired a few larger projects,) renovating them, and getting them fully tenanted with very happy tenants. Of course, it's the last part that is the biggest challenge.

I've written one book on real estate titled "Rentals to Riches: Making Money in Multifamily Real Estate"

User Stats

Votes
John Cohen
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mineola, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mineola, NY
Replied Aug 26 2015, 14:52

@Michael Gansberg do you ever come across larger stuff?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Gansberg
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Aug 26 2015, 17:58

Definitely- my current preference and focus is the 2-10 unit space, though that will likely change in the near future, as I'm seeing opportunities in the distressed commercial space.

And I've been in residential for a long while- it would be nice to mix it up a bit.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Robbins
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Aug 29 2015, 05:34

Hi @Michael Gansberg, I'm a newbie that's begun looking in the capital district, specifically Troy. I'm outside Boston but my wife's family has been there for 30+ years.  Boston market is unaffordable at this point (and not a very good deal anyways) so I've taken to looking around. I like Troy because I know it's starting to be a little rejuvenated. When my sister in law told me they'd actually prefer to rent in Troy I knew it was a good sign. 

How do you feel about Troy and even the surrounding towns like Cohoes and Watervliet?

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 29 2015, 05:55

@Michael Gansberg

Welcome to the site.

question for you. How did you go about finding a publisher for your book? Or did you?

It is a goal of mine to write a book in the distant future. Just curious to see how the process worked for you.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Nolan
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • Carlsbad, CA
Replied Aug 29 2015, 16:34

@Michael Gansberg

Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community. It is a great place to learn about real estate.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hurney
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 31 2015, 07:06

@Josh Robbins Welcome.

How hard did you work the Boston market?

User Stats

Votes
Victoria Avery
  • Professional
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 31 2015, 18:27

Hi Michael, 

Welcome to BP! 

In your adventures in the Boston area, how far around Boston did you work? I ask because a project that I've been working on outside Boston, takes place in a town that is about to undergo a major rejuvenation.

BTW...BP is full of some amazing people I'm great information!

Victoria 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Gansberg
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Sep 10 2015, 11:30

Hi Josh Robbins and James Wise, 

Sorry for the slow answer, I just noticed your questions. 

Josh- I highly recommend investing in Troy, it is a very landlord-friendly environment. The rules and regulations are not overly restrictive, and the eviction process is not extremely onerous. Cohoes, unfortunately, is quite the opposite- their code department is less than reputable, the eviction process is incredibly expensive and time-consuming, and the real estate prices reflect that sad reality- smart investors want little to do with Cohoes. I have no assets in the Watervliet region(not for lack of trying,) so I can't directly recommend it, but I can say that what I've heard from other investors suggests it's a good place to invest, and should the opportunity present itself, I would invest there.

James, I published Rentals To Riches through CreateSpace on Amazon.com. It's a fairly simple process, the two hardest parts of it are writing your book and formatting your book, not necessarily in that order. Once you've written it, it's fairly inexpensive to pay an expert to help with formatting(though I did it myself. Probably an error, in retrospect.)

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 10 2015, 12:25
Originally posted by @Michael Gansberg:

Hi Josh Robbins and James Wise, 

Sorry for the slow answer, I just noticed your questions. 

Josh- I highly recommend investing in Troy, it is a very landlord-friendly environment. The rules and regulations are not overly restrictive, and the eviction process is not extremely onerous. Cohoes, unfortunately, is quite the opposite- their code department is less than reputable, the eviction process is incredibly expensive and time-consuming, and the real estate prices reflect that sad reality- smart investors want little to do with Cohoes. I have no assets in the Watervliet region(not for lack of trying,) so I can't directly recommend it, but I can say that what I've heard from other investors suggests it's a good place to invest, and should the opportunity present itself, I would invest there.

James, I published Rentals To Riches through CreateSpace on Amazon.com. It's a fairly simple process, the two hardest parts of it are writing your book and formatting your book, not necessarily in that order. Once you've written it, it's fairly inexpensive to pay an expert to help with formatting(though I did it myself. Probably an error, in retrospect.)

Good luck!

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Robbins
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Sep 10 2015, 16:18

thanks so much @Michael Gansberg, some very helpful information.  as i get up and running and start farming in the area i'll let you know how things go.

User Stats

Votes
John Merryman
  • Yorktown Heights, NY
Votes |
  • Yorktown Heights, NY
Replied Sep 10 2015, 16:25

Welcome! 

I've been focusing mainly on the lower hudson valley (have a deal in the works in Peekskill), but am interested in Troy/Albany too as they look very financially appealing. Love to hear any tips you may have about the region!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Gansberg
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Sep 11 2015, 07:57

Hi John,

I'm a big fan of Dutchess county, haven't invested there yet but it's a place I'd like to live.

Troy and Albany are both very interesting- I'd find a great property manager first, and look at prospective investments with the manager. Both Troy and Albany may have challenging areas that a newer investor in the area may want to avoid. I also would cast my vote for Troy as being more investor-friendly than Albany, but I think you can do well in both areas, 

Michael

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Baruffi
  • Credit Analyst/Real Estate Investor
  • Troy, NY
Votes |
  • Credit Analyst/Real Estate Investor
  • Troy, NY
Replied Oct 5 2015, 06:20

Welcome to BP!

I invest in multi-families in Troy and have been trying to stay on the East side of the river simply to keep my concentration area smaller. There is a lot of opportunity there for cash flow, not so much for capital appreciation in the foreseeable future. Troy seems to be on the upswing by comparison to the other towns in the area, though like in all cities there are regions to avoid. 

I'm always looking to increase my portfolio and find partners on deals, DM me if you'd like to discuss opportunities!

-Taylor

User Stats

Votes
Austin Wark
  • West Sand Lake, NY
Votes |
  • West Sand Lake, NY
Replied Oct 15 2015, 09:52

@Josh Robbins Troy is definitely starting to do better. The shopping district of South Troy is starting to turn out very nice and beautiful. I am actually sitting down here as we speak, in my favorite cafe. I've been looking into investing down here myself as well, as there's an endless supply of tenants(not necessarily all good ones) thanks to the three colleges in the area.