Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Need Owner Financing Advice (Im the owner)

Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Posted Feb 22 2024, 14:46

Hi Bigger Pockets Family,

I need your expertise. I have a house in Fort Worth Texas, that I am trying to sell, but it is not selling the way I would want it to (beautiful house in transitional neighborhood). I am thinking about opening it up to owner financing. However, I am not too privy on what decent term rates are in this realm of creative financing. I am thinking the following:

This would be a wrap around mortgage as I still owe $165k on it.

Sale Price $245k (market price)

10% down ($24,500)

10% Interest 

30 year (please tell me if thats a bad idea)

Monthly payment based on 30 yr ($1930/mo + tax and insurance) = $2448/mo

Please let me know if i left any pertinent information out.

Any sleuths out there can check it out. 🤓 (1032 E Tucker St Fort Worth, TX 76104)

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Feb 23 2024, 04:59
Quote from @Brandon Smith:

I need your expertise. I have a house in Fort Worth Texas, that I am trying to sell, but it is not selling the way I would want it to (beautiful house in transitional neighborhood). I am thinking about opening it up to owner financing. However, I am not too privy on what decent term rates are in this realm of creative financing. I am thinking the following:

10% down ($24,500)

10% Interest 

Any sleuths out there can check it out. 🤓 (1032 E Tucker St Fort Worth, TX 76104)

you got it covered it seems. My question would be what happens if the bank calls the loan due to the sale? How are you going to handle that? 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 23 2024, 05:35

That’s a great question. I’m hoping they don’t. i’m being up front about my intentions with the loan officer i’m working with as i’m trying to do a cash out refinance. So hopefully he’s being honest with me.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Preston Dean
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Feb 23 2024, 11:09

10% down ($24,500)

10% Interest 

Are you needing out of the deal asap? 

If not MLS shows only 27 DOM. Give it some time.

Most of the properties you might be comparing them to are new builds from 2022 & 2023.

Regarding your question, just have your agent put that option on there I know many investors who would be interested in seller financed deals 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#2 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Feb 24 2024, 08:31

10% down ($24,500)

10% Interest 

What kind of financing is the 165k?  Is it a conventional loan or something else? 
  • Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 25 2024, 15:17

thank you very much for your reply. Do you think 27 DOM is not bad? How long would you give it?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 25 2024, 15:17

hi. Thank you for your reply. It is Hard Money. Monthly interest is $1443.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 25 2024, 15:18
Quote from @Preston Dean:

10% down ($24,500)

10% Interest 

Most of the properties you might be comparing them to are new builds from 2022 & 2023.

Regarding your question, just have your agent put that option on there I know many investors who would be interested in seller financed deals 

thank you very much for your reply. Do you think 27 DOM is not bad? How long would you give it?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 25 2024, 15:19

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 25 2024, 17:24

Your not going to wrap a hardmoney loan what are you thinking ?? HML are normally 1 to 2 years or so. Plus they will for sure call the loan if you dont pay them off.  maybe I am missing something but you need to sell for cash. pay off the loan and be on your way.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 25 2024, 17:30
Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

Your not going to wrap a hardmoney loan what are you thinking ?? HML are normally 1 to 2 years or so. Plus they will for sure call the loan if you dont pay them off.  maybe I am missing something but you need to sell for cash. pay off the loan and be on your way.

Of course not. I would be doing a cash out refinance first. Yeah that would be crazy

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 25 2024, 17:32
Quote from @Account Closed:

It sounds like you're considering some creative financing options for your house in Fort Worth, Texas. Owner financing can be a smart move, especially in a transitional neighborhood. 

Your terms seem reasonable, but 10% interest might be a bit high for buyers. Have you thought about offering a lower rate to attract more interest? Also, 30 years is pretty standard for a mortgage, so no worries there. Good luck with the sale, and I hope you find the right buyer soon!

Thank you for the encouragement 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 25 2024, 17:36

Of course not. I would be doing a cash out refinance first. Yeah that would be crazy

that makes sense.. as others have mentioned in your scenario owner carry to me is last resort give it 90 days at least. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 25 2024, 19:40

that makes sense.. as others have mentioned in your scenario owner carry to me is last resort give it 90 days at least. 

thank you very much. I am going to heed your advice and see what happens at leas another 30 days

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 25 2024, 20:22

@Brandon Smith

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, other than I think this is a money grab on your part?

In general, I'm not a fan of owner financing since now you have to take a significant credit risk on probably somebody you don't know.  Yeah, the common response to that on a owner finance is "you can always take back the property."  Yet, the common response in most other situations is "foreclosure is a pain, generally takes a while, and you might get the property back in a mess."

I didn't think rates are that high, or are you doing 10% because you are assuming its somebody that couldn't qualify for a conforming loan?  Plus, you make the NIM on the wrapped loan.

You consider doing a 30yr amortization but a shorter term.  If you can get 10%, thats really nice for 30yr, but you might want your liquidity back sooner or not take a chance on your borrower for that long.

The reason to go "creative" is if you have an actual issue.  Of course, if you do...

I'd check the list price of the property.  Perhaps its too high, or as mentioned you have to wait much longer.

I hope this helps.  I guess I'm more conservative.  Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Feb 26 2024, 04:31

@Brandon Smith my understanding of cash-out refi is they may not allow it if it’s been listed for sale in last 6-12 months, so check on that. Also, I’d make the down payment large enough to cover damages if they don’t pay and trash the house. You may need to foreclose if they don’t pay so make sure you have legal representation to record your interest, and that any notice comes to you, not your lawyers office. My mom lost money when one of my dad’s owner finance deals stopped paying after his death — official notice went to lawyers office that moved offices several years before, so she never received notice for us to show up and protect her interest.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Smith
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 26 2024, 08:05
Quote from @Lynn McGeein:

@Brandon Smith my understanding of cash-out refi is they may not allow it if it’s been listed for sale in last 6-12 months, so check on that. Also, I’d make the down payment large enough to cover damages if they don’t pay and trash the house. You may need to foreclose if they don’t pay so make sure you have legal representation to record your interest, and that any notice comes to you, not your lawyers office. My mom lost money when one of my dad’s owner finance deals stopped paying after his death — official notice went to lawyers office that moved offices several years before, so she never received notice for us to show up and protect her interest.

Thank you Lynn,

That is very helpful advice…I will definitely look into that.  Im really sorry your mom went through that…People really suck sometimes.  Again, thank you for your feedback 

User Stats

Votes
Tam Lapp
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Feb 26 2024, 09:55

@Brandon Smith give it some time man... there's an *** for every seat.. 

User Stats

Votes
Preston Dean
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Feb 27 2024, 14:12
Quote from @Preston Dean:

10% down ($24,500)

10% Interest 

What does you agent say about the DOM?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 28 2024, 19:01

I peeped at your house situation in Fort Worth. Owner financing could be a game-changer, but 10% interest on a 30-year might be a bit steep for potential buyers. I'd dial down that interest a tad – maybe around 5-7% to sweeten the deal. People love lower payments. Also, check how the local market vibes with wraps; some places dig 'em, others not so much. Get a feel for that. Overall, solid plan, just tweak those interest rates for a smoother sell. Good luck with the sale, hope it flies off the market soon!

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied Feb 29 2024, 07:47

10% down ($24,500)

10% Interest 

Did you clear up any of the issues that were present when you bought it in 2023? previous to your purchase, it was in and out of contract several times. Therefore my guess is it needed more than a cosmetic update. Just a thought.

As always just my opinion and not written with AI