Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Dan Gheesling
  • Investor
  • West Bloomfield, MI
Votes |
Detroit - What are your thoughts / questions / fears about investing in the City of Detroit?

Dan Gheesling
  • Investor
  • West Bloomfield, MI
Posted Oct 10 2014, 09:25

When you hear about Detroit Real Estate most people get scared and picture burned down buildings, blight, etc. Myself included.

One of my initial fears was that I wouldn't get my money back out, and that the renters wouldn't pay on time or at all based on what I read in the news/online/etc.

Whether you invest in Detroit or not, what are the biggest questions/problems/concerns do you have about investing in Detroit?

To be completely transparent I am working on creating an online resource for investors just to learn about the city (not be a sales page, or sell properties etc) for those who are interested.

Thank you for your honest thoughts and questions, it will really be a huge help into really understanding the questions people have so I know to spend time sharing that information opposed to others.

If there is anything I can do to help in return for you answering this post honestly do not hesitate to ask!

User Stats

Votes
Richard Dunlop
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Oct 14 2014, 18:03

Add Hubbard Farms to your list. What neighborhood are you in?

User Stats

Votes
Gwendolyn Davis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glendale, AZ
Replied Oct 14 2014, 19:22

being a newbie, single mom and looking to invest in multifamily units so i could live in one of the units, Im afraid to live in detroit alone. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Gwendolyn Davis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Glendale, AZ
Replied Oct 14 2014, 19:23

i have enjoyed reading the posts. Looking to possible connect with investors, agents and mentors in this area.

User Stats

Votes
Scott K.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Madison Heights, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Madison Heights, MI
Replied Oct 14 2014, 20:20
Originally posted by @Tim Dingman:

It's an oversimplification, but here's a list of neighborhoods to bet on:

• Downtown
  • Midtown
  • New Center (I live in a house I'm rehabbing here)
  • Corktown
  • Woodbridge
  • Indian Village
  • Eastern Market
  • Boston-Edison
  • Hamtramck

I admit I don't know much about the neighborhoods outside greater downtown. For instance, I hear good things about Grandmont-Rosedale, but I've never been out there myself.

Of course, the most important thing you can do is check out the properties and their immediate neighborhoods themselves. My house was a great investment because the street has a strong block club and high occupancy + rehab rates. Go two blocks north, though, and you'll find just the opposite.

Indian Village is on the downswing in my opinion.  I did a lot of work for a lady that owned 42 properties there.

So many problems with the renters.  The area has turned to renters now and that's never a good thing with properties like that.

Hamtramck is dumpy as all out.  I would never buy a property or live there ever.

Boston Edison still has a long way to go.  

User Stats

Votes
Scott K.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Madison Heights, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Madison Heights, MI
Replied Oct 14 2014, 20:32

HAHAHAAH I love the "my block is good"  That's is the silliest thing I have ever heard.  LOL if you have to rete you properties by what block they are on you are in a bad area. 

Rosemount/Grandmont is a pit.  That is one of the area's that Pulte went in and started tearing down all the burned up houses.  So you have not been there.  I suggest you venture out there and take a look.

LOL all my properties are in good areas.  They are all in the burbs and none of them will cost more than 50k.  With the cheapest rent being $750.

why why why why mess with the stupid Detroiter's that know every scam there is to not pay their bills.

User Stats

Votes
Marianne Marzolla
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waterford, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waterford, MI
Replied Oct 15 2014, 13:00

Add Bagley to the list of good neighborhoods. North of Marygrove west of U of D. I just bought a beautiful home there to rehab. All brick tudor from the Detroit Land Bank. I am proud that I am chipping away and purchasing inexpensive properties to rehab. We offer people updated and decent places to rent. I talk to the neighbors, plant sunflowers and clean the windows. Naive?? Maybe, but it still feels good to be part of the positive energy and not the negative. I am a suburbanite and have met wonderful, kind-hearted people who live in Detroit. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard Dunlop
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Oct 20 2014, 00:07

Some of my properties cost $500  and rent for $500 a month.  Why would it appeal to me to spend 100 times as much to get a tiny bit more rent?